Social security number

can anyone help?

I am recently separated and living now permanently in france. i have ideas to set up music projects in schools and have the necessary contacts but i don't have a social security number. in uk i was self employed. does anyone know how i get a social security number without a job? i understand that i will then be entitled to medical care etc and i want to be insured in schools and legitimate. hope there's someone out there who's been through the process and can help

Hi you have to register online as an auto-entrepreneur and choose a category that fits you best - but this does not limit you to that category only.
You will pay contributions on EVERYTHING you declare - you will find that social security contributions are much higher than income tax. I thinks it works out at about 15 percent of what you declare. I chose to pay four times a year.
The site is here:

http://www.lautoentrepreneur.fr/

It is NOT like being self-employed in the UK.

If you need advice I would see an accountant - I don’t know the system well enough. Or get someone who really understands forms to guide you through the site.

Hope this helps,

Dan

yes please, tell me how you registered and if you have to pay tax?
I have all sorts of different things going on at once so I don’t think i can register in one capacity. I cook for students, I have a b&b and I am hoping to run music projects in schools, so I don’t think being self employed here i would fit into any specific category.
do you know the process? the criteria? and how much you can earn before you pay tax? what is your recommendation?

Maybe I can help.

I have my own recording studio, and I am registered as an auto-entrepreneur (as a ‘sound engineer’)

Dan

We got ours by going to the CPAM offices which is the place to sign up for your carte vital. I was under my partners at first, but when I went auto-entrepreneur was told that I have a number also. That was news to me, so I went back to my lovely man in the CPAM office, he had a look on his computer, and gave me my number. Hope this helps.