Some of our roses

In the heat of the last few days our roses are beginning to go over. Over these last weeks through lockdown I’ve been photoing them. Sadly we haven’t been able to share them this year - so posting a few here to enjoy.

11 Likes

Stunning!

Thanks Alex. They absolutely love the clay soil in this part of France and over the years I have gone a bit crazy! We have a wonderful local guy who has an organic rose nursery - his plants are so strong and healthy and I feel I must support him - especially this year. :slight_smile:

My Kiftsgate is just starting to bloom. wonderful perfume!

Love the deep pink rose, looks almost like a peony.

It’s gorgeous isn’t Lily. I think it’s called a moss rose. Sadly it’s not repeat flowering, but when in bloom it’s just stunning.

1 Like

Stunning!! Well done.

Beautiful blooms great pictures​:blush::blush::blush:

We bought this one last weekend at a local plant sale:

It is an interesting colour.

1 Like

Thanks Dan. I’m really flattered because you take superb photos. I struggle to get good garden photos but then I suspect I’m not up early enough. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just gorgeous Mat. Would love to have one like that. Any idea what it is?

It is a Minerva.

Great, thanks Mat. An excuse to go back to my rose man. :slight_smile:

Good year for blooms - here are some of our beauties

2 Likes

A FEAST for the eyes!! Thank you.

2 Likes

Has anyone tried this method of taking cuttings for roses? It`s an American page so very enthusiastic commentary , am just waiting for grandchildren to finish cola for the bottles!!

[(1299) How to Grow Roses From Cuttings Fast and Easy | Rooting Rose Cuttings with a 2 Liter Soda Bottle - YouTube

1 Like

Hi Margaret thanks for the link. Not only enthusiastic but also long-winded! :slight_smile:
I have over 100 roses in our garden and getting on for half are now either children or grandchildren of ones I bought when we first moved here and I’ve also given them away to friends. From my experience, certainly in SW France, roses are unbelievably easy to propagate and don’t need any fussy treatment at all. I have a shaded area in the garden where my “nursery” is.
I start taking cuttings in March when I do the brutal prune back to a low framework and at that stage I will have dozens of stems that I can’t bear to throw away. So I just bung between about seven and ten stems in largish plastic pots and leave them open to the elements. I used to use hormone rooting powder on the end that goes in the soil. I now use cinnamon powder. I water well and then forget about them for months, just throwing the occasional bit of water over them to get them through the summer. Sometimes they don’t “take” but often at least one or two and occasionally all seven stems will root and they will be flowering by the following year when I plant them out.
As our roses have now been battered to pieces by the rain and wind a lot of them are going over to hips, so I’m about to do a major prune over the next few weeks and I’ll take a load more cuttings. I’m running out of space for them, but can’t bear to throw the cuttings away!
Good luck with your own propagation.

1 Like

1 Like

Just gorgeous Poppy. Are they David Austin’s by any chance?

Yes, David Austin “Charlotte” I love them.

1 Like