Something/Anything?

There comes a time in any person’s life when only pure sweet unadulterated pop music will do. If there’s a sweeter, more uplifting three-minute (well, 2:59) pop song not written by a Beatle, then surely Todd Rundgren’s ‘I Saw The Light’ is it. And although it’s the brightest star in this double album, it’s certainly not the only one in the constellation.

I picked this up from a market stall at the end of a very cold trip to Cambridge to visit some school friends at the university. For two or three days, the sky was blue but the wind blew directly from the Urals, or so it seemed. I'd never in all my days of living in Belfast, sheltered by its lough and its surrounding hills, experienced cold quite like that.

The market stall was, I think, Andy's – who went on to establish a chain of shops called Andy's Records. It cost me £3.30, which seemed like a lot of money in those days, but just for good measure I picked up a cassette version years later in a remainder bookshop in Sheffield where they sold books by weight. At the derisory price of 49p, it said Buy me!, so I bought a few copies to give away to friends whose lives would surely be incomplete without it. I don't remember receiving any feedback to this effect.

I suppose it wouldn't be to everyone's taste. There's a blue-eyed soul track on Side 4 called 'Dust in the Wind' and many of the 25 tracks on the album have the throwaway ephemeral quality of DIY pop music. Todd as usual wrote almost everything on the album, produced it himself on his own Bearsville record label and played all of the instruments (on the first three sides), so there's a certain sense of playing around with big boys' toys. Side 2, for example, starts with a silly introduction in which Todd, sounding like a teenage punk, runs through the tell-tale sounds of a badly produced record. And it's followed by 'Breathless', the kind of synthesised noodling that would punctuate A Wizard, A True Star, his uneven self-indulgent follow-up.

But the fact is that 'Breathless' is also the kind of tune that stays in your head and makes you want to whistle along to it. In any case, I needed the record in my life at that time (1973). Probably searching in vain for Mrs. Right, as one does at 18, I disgraced myself during that Cambridge trip by drinking far too much beer with my friends in their student-oriented pub of choice, where I spent most of the evening shut in a privy with my head on my knees.

My young foolish heart would have responded to all the pretty songs for yearning lovers like 'I Saw the Light', 'It Wouldn't Have Made any Difference', 'Sweeter Memories', 'Torch Song' and the delicious 'Marlene' ('you're the prettiest girl I've ever seen'). And that's not to mention the song he resurrected from his days as leader of the proto-garage band, Nazz (whose second album bore the splendid title Nazz Nazz), which would be covered , exquisitely, by The Isley Brothers, and become his biggest solo hit single, 'Hello It's Me'.![](upload://nFhUwghDE84YfgX0yqaEWiIg717.jpg)

But, as the title of the album suggests, there is something for everyone on these four sides: from the heavy metal of 'Little Red Lights' to the up-tempo R&B of 'Slut', 'Wolfman Jack' and 'Some Folks is Even Whiter than Me', to the guitar heroics of 'Black Maria', and even to the cod Gilbert & Sullivan of 'Song of the Viking' (indeed, he would go on to include their 'The Lord Chancellor's Nightmare' on his next double album, Todd).

The predominant influence, though, seems to be the ingenuous spirit of doo-wop and the kind of uptown early soul to which he no doubt listened as a kid growing up in Philadelphia. He always wore his heart on his sleeve and wasn't shy of expressing the kinds of emotions that didn't necessarily go with his alter ego, the guitar-wielding front man of Utopia, his erratic prog-rock band (for whom he insisted on sublimating his not inconsiderable ego and song-writing talents in the name of democracy).

Fortunately, when I saw him live in concert at Exeter University in the mid '70s, it was much more Todd than Utopia. As someone who loved to dabble at the cutting edge of technology, the sound – in an era when high-volume distortion was often the name of the game – was superb and the concert was all the more memorable. Something of a perfectionist, he would go on to record cover versions of songs like 'Good Vibrations' on a curious album called Faithful which were so close to the originals as to be almost pointless.

Techno-whizz, guitar hero and producer (of, among others, Meat Loaf and Grand Funk Railroad for God's sake), there were so many strings to his bow that he might have ended up dissipating his considerable talents. But he enjoyed a long, diverse and mainly fruitful career that continues to this day. Ultimately, however, he would never top the sheer winning simplicity of this, his third solo album.

For someone whose posturing could be irritating, he could also be very self-deprecating. He talked, for example, of having knocked off 'I Saw the Light' in 20 minutes because it's full of simplistic moon/June-type rhymes. But that's to deny what it must take to write a pop song that still sounds, nearly 50 years on, as fresh as the day it was recorded in his own private studio.

He was a friend and a big fan of Laura Nyro – for which he racks up masses of Brownie points in my ledger – and la grande dame of blue-eyed soul even asked him to lead her touring band at a time when he was still tied to Nazz. Todd was a big admirer of her Eli & the Thirteenth Confession and there’s the same kind of short, sharp, soulful quality in many of the songs that grace this, his own enduring masterpiece.

What a team they might have made. Laura Nyro was one of the very best white interpreters of black music (as her versions of Martha Reeves' 'Jimmy Mack' and 'Nowhere to Run' bear out) and Todd would go on to include a convincing medley of soul numbers on A Wizard, A True Star, which includes Smokey Robinson's 'I'm So Proud' and the Delfonics' delicious 'La-La-La Means I Love You'.

But it wasn't to be. While Laura Nyro died prematurely, Todd's career has proved that longevity has its place. Based now in Hawaii, he's still churning 'em out. I gave up buying his albums after 1981's Healing (which typically included a 7" single of two songs that he didn't manage to cram onto the 33⅓ record). Befitting a classic, though, Something/Anything? continues to delight, just as other facets of his career continue to surprise. He has toured with Ringo Starr's All-Starrs, performed 'Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite' at a Hollywood Bowl celebration of the Beatles and, I recently discovered, my beloved Green Bay Packers have adopted his minor hit, 'Bang the Drum All Day', as an unofficial theme tune.

Let us now praise multi-faceted men!

So glad you enjoyed it, Mark.

Hi Katherine, Lovely to hear from a fellow fan. A proper, American fan, too. I guess his music must mean a fair bit more to his fellow countrymen and women given the subjects he wrote about. 'A Dream Goes On...' is a lovely song, one of the high spots of the rather uneven 'Todd'. He was unfairly maligned sometimes for being a bit of a brat, but his lyrics betray a real sensitivity and, as you suggest, maturity beyond his years. What's more, he was a big fan of Laura Nyro, so he's all right by me. I saw him at Exeter University with Utopia and although I was never a fan of Utopia, the concert was mainly about Todd and it was wonderful. Ah, happy days! I've just listened to it again thanks to your link, and how lovely a song it is. Muchos gracias.

Hi Mark,

I’m very late to this party but I’m beginning to wonder if you and I eere separated at birth. In any case, Todd Rundgren was pretty much the soundtrack of my high school years and his music always brings back sweet and poignant memories. I have such a soft spot for him. My favorite song of his has to be A Dream Goes on Forever. Not well known,although it got a fair bit of air play in the States. The lyrics should really have been written by a much older person…these are words most of us don’t fully understand until later in life. This is for you (there’s also a live version on Youtube that is so lovely…):

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xn-RzbnVbBA

Thanks, Peter. I remember this one. John Oates was a funny little guy. 'She's Gone' is a beautiful song, covered I believe by Tavares. Rather well, too. I'll have to dig out my Best of... 'Heav-en must be missing an an-gel...'

Hilary, check out this live recording of Hall & Oates 'She's Gone' from The Old Grey Whistle Test back in 1976. Great vocals from he pair showing the range of their voices. John Oates was obviously trying out the 'Lionel Ritchie, Freddie Mercury & Magnum' look in the mid '70s, or did he just have a bad hair day ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=si03zdG6Twk

Enjoy.

yes, stories like this ake one do 'a double take'.....how can things go this badly wrong..? Contract law for artists needs to be re-formed, I think....

Just google 'Saw the light' again, to see what else I might remember of his 'oevre'....found this :-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pLTD23l468

Didn't realise that he worked with Daryll Hall...what happened to the collaboration with John Oates, I wonder ?.....will do some research...

My oh my, Hilary, I just watched 'The Tragic Story'. Truly tragic, both their leading lights hanging themselves. It makes you want to weep. These criminal managers, eh? The age-old story. Listening to 'Come and Get It' again after all these years, you can hear Paul McCartney in every chord. I'll watch 'They Sold a Million' over the weekend. I can't bear more tragedy tonight!

Thanks so much for all the links, Hilary. I think I'll be having a Badfinger weekend by the looks of it. And thank you, Peter and Chris, for the supplementary info. The record production world is clearly a small one. Have a good weekend, one and all!

....sorry, here's the link to 'Straight Up' & Badfinger.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_TPS86BipU

…and the 3rd Badfinger album was produced by George Harrison and…Todd Rundgren!

Peter,

I think that the links show that they were 'a little better' than that.....They films show that (like quite a few other bands they were 'shafted' by incompetant or malicious, self-interested management - even the Beatles had problems like that with Alan Klein (?)

Leaving Apple was a bad mistake and then they were into the 'shark pool' of the rest of the American based industry....I think it's a pity that Paul McCartney didn't stay more 'in touch' with how they were doing...

Hamm & Evans had a great deal of talent and would still be here 'musically' in some form or other, if things had been managed better.....so sad.

Mark, Hilary,

Badfinger were 'created' or 're jigged' by Apple records when The Beatles split up. Apple executives panicked when they realised their no.1 source of income was about dry up so they cobbled together a group to try to replace, even in some small way the Fab Four. They didn't last long but what they did was ok music without really managing to get anywhere near where the Apple Corp was hoping.

Sad to think the lives of the original band were cut short through suicide and bad health, reminds me a bit of The Ramones.

Here's another link to their 1972 album 'Straight Up'.....I have only just found this, so I haven't listened to all the tracks, but so far (I'm listening whilst finishing off some work), sounds really good....

Mark,

When you click on the Badfinger links, you'll see that there are a couple of documentary films made about them...see if I can found them....

'They sold a Million' BBC Doc...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eUJ03rmrDs

AND 'Badfinger the Tragic Story'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6ebpDPSDT8

Terrible story...even worse when you realise/discover that Pete Hamm was the author of one of the most successful and moving pop songs of all time 'Without You' which was so successful for Nillson....

Thanks, Hilary. I'm so glad you love 'I Saw The Light' as much as I do. And yes, the kid's having a nice retirement (although he's still active) in Hawaii. There's a lovely video of him singing this with Daryl Hall in either his or Daryl's Hawaian home. I'm afraid I don't know Duncan Browne, but I will check out the link. But I entirely agree about Badfinger. I thought they were terrific. I loved that single about a fool in his money, sonny if you want it... Very, very underrated and yes, the Beatles did have a connection. I think Paul wrote a song or two for them. I shall watch all of these with genuine excitement, but tell me more about the 'tragic results'. As Manuel used to say, I know notheeng.

Hi Mark,

I agree, I love 'I saw the light'...has to be one of the all time best singer, songwriter songs. have just googled it on You tube :-

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=todd+rundgren+i+saw+the+light

and I realised, that I knew/know next to nothing about him, or his career, who he played with...must listen to some other tracks...

I'm glad he is still alive & well and enjoying life in Hawaii.......a fitting place to retire to for someone who wrote such a song...Perhaps tho' I can remind you of some equally talented re discoveries of my own, who were/are not so fortunate....

Remember Duncan Browne lovely acoustic guitar work in this - and his single 'Journey'......https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AS1bvFmwtsA

and the really underrated and unfortunate Badfinger...who I really loved and should have made it big, but were horribly conspired against, with really tragic results....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dzUqkBAv-T4

sounds a bit 'Beatlesey' (I think Paul McCartney had something to do with this) ......

and...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u0kTd3tBz4

and this is the one Paul McCartney gave them...their 1st hit, I think....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWbTZuEWjnc

Great stuff.....be nice if they were re-issued....

Yes, Peter, Albert Lee has played with just about everyone. I was lucky enough to catch him with Bill Wyman's Rhythm Kings in Cahors (Georgie Fame on keyboards, guest appearance from Gary Brooker on piano and I think it was Andy Fairweather-Low on vocals, but I might have been hallucinating) and he seemed such a sweet, modest guy. I sure do remember Emperor Rosko, Chris, but never heard the Head, Hands & Feet gig.

Can, Brian. Yes, they had that crazy Japanese vocalist. Damu or something like that. Very weird. I never really liked them, but loved the name of a track they recorded called 'Soon Over Babalooma' (or something like that). My memory grows hazier. I didn't realise that they were so loud. But then the Teutons...

Do you remember the Emperor Rosko show on R1? He had some live bands on occasionally, one being Heads,Hands and Feet. They played ‘Country Boy’ and Albert Lee was the guitar player. Never forgotten it. Amazing!

1973 I think Brian. There’s a company called Stone Deaf making amps nowadays…coming to a gig near you…