Sometimes I am embarrassed to be British

This is very out of character, the govt has always been very supportive of Russian oligarchs seeking to settle in the UK and donate to party coffers. Are golden tickets only available to the corrupt?

The number of things not to be ashamed of seems to shrink every day, I am afraid. As I am philosophically opposed to the whole concept of national pride (none of us had any say in where we were born or into which circumstances) it feels a little hypocritical to be ashamed to be English, but I am. And I mean English rather than British - of course bigots and selfish B****s exist in other countries as well, but under this government the English seem to be turning toxicity into an art form!

So who, anyone at all? is Pritti letting in.

[quote=“tim17, post:8, topic:38615”]
It was because you talked about the UK and
the abysmal failure of it’s government to match this support by allowing fleeing refugees easy entry into the country

Is this to reinforce my displeasure?

I just thought it illustrated your comment.

This is exactly what the majority of people in the UK voted for with the Conservative Party,s full backing.Now the world is watching and are not impressed with the way that the UK are treating people,it,s far too late for them all to be embarrassed about it now.

Give a thought to OH who spent several decades embarrassed about being a white S African travelling around Europe on Schengen visas. Unfortunately Mandela’s election didn’t really change Europeans’ opinion of Afrikaans speakers, so she was very glad to get her UK passport in 2014, but has been embarrassed by it ever since Brexit. Now wants to get a French one!

Maybe your OH should just stop right there :slight_smile:

1 Like

Can’t see her collecting passports will help. Especially a French one. France has had some pretty dark periods in history and not too long ago either. Mybe an Islandic passport?

1 Like

I have to say that I disagree with your view.
Many people no doubt voted, at least in part, for a government that undertook to curb the number of economic migrants arriving in the UK. However, I doubt that those voters have the same view in relation to genuine refugees fleeing a war that in so many places is becoming a determined effort towards genocide.
I don’t profess to be an expert in such matters, but I reckon I could do a fair job in Calais of separating the obviously traumatised and shell-shocked Ukrainian speaking women and children from the darker skinned young male economic migrants. The problem is that the Home Office don’t seem to be able to come to the same determination, and so treat them all the same.
While many voters may indeed want the economic migrants kept out, the majority of those same people will welcome the women and children who are genuine refugees of war with open arms. Regrettably, the UK government does not seem to understand this mind set.

2 Likes

How many people have fled Ukraine? How many are expected to?

If anyone has been watching UK news they will have seen how much the general public want to help. I feel embarrassed on behalf of people who keep doing down the British or English people and those who still seem unable to come to terms with Brexit nearly six years after the vote.

1 Like

So if your country is at war and you flee you are a refugee if you’re a white woman, but an economic migrant if you’re a brown man. That’s a bit reductive, don’t you think?

7 Likes

The UK government is able to set up (with France’s blessing) a visa processing centre in Lille for Ukrainian refugees but can’t do that for others people wishing to enter the UK, something’s not right.

Hardly - it was a slender majority of those who actually voted and not ‘the majority of people in the U.K.’.

1 Like

Yes, I agree that it is reductive, and also a case of profiling in action. However, in a case of extreme emergency there is no time for worrying about being politically correct. Us English have this tradition of it being a case of “women and children first” when the ship is sinking. Yes it is sexist, but I would give up my place in the lifeboat for you just because it is our tradition.
Instantaneous profiling may not be popular in certain quarters but it is certainly efficient and effective in certain circumstances. For example: when trying to combat a spate of burglaries it is much better to stop and check the car that contains three doubtful looking teenage males than the one that contains three well dressed late middle aged to elderly women.

2 Likes

If you don’t vote then whether overtly or covertly you’re agreeing to give your backing to whatever the result is. It doesn’t seem unreasonable that the percentage that didn’t vote should be put together with those who voted for ‘the winning side’, if they didn’t want that result they should have voted against it. :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

This was my arguement at the last French Presidential … when many French friends insisted they couldn’t decide who to vote for… thus they would abstain or ruin their vote…
I suggested (gently) that they vote for the person they disliked the least… :wink: :rofl: :+1:

5 Likes