'Speak only English'

I’m not convinced that whatever the turd who stuck that notice up speaks would necessarily be recognised as English by anyone civilised.

4 Likes

Well he/she can’t write correctly for a start.

Disgusting. And I hope others who voted for Brexit also find this unpleasant.

4 Likes

@John_Scully I logged on late so failed to spot your early-bird topic, John. Perhaps the back-room guys can meld the two threads? Sorry for wrong-footing your thread…:upside_down_face:

Not at all Peter. The more discussion the better.

1 Like

I hope that the police will be able to identify the culprit and take appropriate action to prevent any recurrence.
Behaviour such as this is completely uncalled for and cannot be tolerated.

I can’t disagree, Robert. But it’s not the act that concerns me so much as the mind that led to it.

At least the act revealed the sentiment behind it, which is good because it lifts the curtain on an unquantifiable threat to the fabric of British/English life, perceived by an unknowable quantum of society, as deeply undesirable aliens.

Even if the individual responsible is identified and convicted of a ‘crime’, it will do little to stop a rising tide of ill-will that will not IMO be stemmed. On the contrary, I believe this malign tidal energy will be harnessed to political objectives in UK, just as Trump has done in the US. Johnson is in the same mould.

The British press will use that power to fuel its campaign of crude propaganda against progressive movements like the Labour Party. The language of politics is already adopting the argot of the streets: reference our Foreign Secretary’s recent comment on the Level Playing Field principle of the political agreement: “It ain’t gonna happen”.

I foresee the worst to come.