Starry, Starry Night - August 2020

1 Like

One of my “up there” memories. August 12th. Just finished a marche nocturne and called with two of our friends. Sat outside until 1.30am watching the sky. Amazing warm, balmy evening with no light pollution, 2 lovely friends and the man I loved.

1 Like

sounds idyllic… :hugs:

OK I’ll buy in - what is ‘a slightly gibbous moon’?

An unusual word. It is said to derive (Google) from a word than meant hump-backed. Gibbering, giblet, gibbet. Like gob, gobble, gobby and goblet, not a very attractive onomatopoeic word as I know to my own cost. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Can we have confidence in a map that describes the Moon and Mars as stars?

1 Like

This forum is fast turning into a pedants paradise

2 Likes

No serious astronomer would make that mistake.

You can take from the site… whatever you like… I only offer the info of what to see in the skies… if one cares to take a look…

If you are a serious astronomer… I can understand your mood…
but for the general public… stars are what we see… twinkle twinkle little star… has a lot to answer for… :roll_eyes: :wink: :wink:

stars appear to twinkle…
planets appear to have solid light…

but as my eyes are ropey… that’s not always much help…

:crazy_face: :crazy_face: :woozy_face: :woozy_face:

1 Like

But you didn’t get that from Professor Brian Cox’s website! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Is this any better… adjust for your own hometown

nope… I don’t know that gentleman…

the twinkly difference was explained to me by a child…

Perseids this coming week too (peak viewing Wednesday night) - we take the sunbeds from the pool onto the back lawn, lie back and…

Nothing nicer than reclining in the sunlounger… in the middle of the back field… and gazing upwards to watch the shooting stars, this time of year.

A source of wonder for me… ever since I was little… possibly because they are bright enough for me to really notice… :rofl: :rofl: :wink: … flaming-arrows… marvellous…

1 Like

I like this site… because it makes me really work at my French…

https://www.stelvision.com/

(even if they do translate planets… as stars… :wink: :upside_down_face: :open_mouth: )

Never mind Stella, I still think you’re a star! :star2:

1 Like

no probs… :wink: :wink:

my little brother became interested in stars… them things up in the sky…
at around 7 years of age… poor thing, he tried to teach me… but totally failed.

His life’s work was what went on “up there”…

Now he’s dead, I find myself gazing upwards more and more… how I wish I had taken it all in, when I had the chance…

this heat is getting to everyone I reckon, one way or another…

cheers… :hugs:

2 Likes

But it was a fun article that Stella posted. It isn’t meant to be serious astronomy