Starry, Starry Night - August 2020

1 Like

One of my ā€œup thereā€ memories. August 12th. Just finished a marche nocturne and called with two of our friends. Sat outside until 1.30am watching the sky. Amazing warm, balmy evening with no light pollution, 2 lovely friends and the man I loved.

1 Like

sounds idyllicā€¦ :hugs:

OK Iā€™ll buy in - what is ā€˜a slightly gibbous moonā€™?

An unusual word. It is said to derive (Google) from a word than meant hump-backed. Gibbering, giblet, gibbet. Like gob, gobble, gobby and goblet, not a very attractive onomatopoeic word as I know to my own cost. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Can we have confidence in a map that describes the Moon and Mars as stars?

1 Like

This forum is fast turning into a pedants paradise

2 Likes

No serious astronomer would make that mistake.

You can take from the siteā€¦ whatever you likeā€¦ I only offer the info of what to see in the skiesā€¦ if one cares to take a lookā€¦

If you are a serious astronomerā€¦ I can understand your moodā€¦
but for the general publicā€¦ stars are what we seeā€¦ twinkle twinkle little starā€¦ has a lot to answer forā€¦ :roll_eyes: :wink: :wink:

stars appear to twinkleā€¦
planets appear to have solid lightā€¦

but as my eyes are ropeyā€¦ thatā€™s not always much helpā€¦

:crazy_face: :crazy_face: :woozy_face: :woozy_face:

1 Like

But you didnā€™t get that from Professor Brian Coxā€™s website! :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Is this any betterā€¦ adjust for your own hometown

nopeā€¦ I donā€™t know that gentlemanā€¦

the twinkly difference was explained to me by a childā€¦

Perseids this coming week too (peak viewing Wednesday night) - we take the sunbeds from the pool onto the back lawn, lie back andā€¦

Nothing nicer than reclining in the sunloungerā€¦ in the middle of the back fieldā€¦ and gazing upwards to watch the shooting stars, this time of year.

A source of wonder for meā€¦ ever since I was littleā€¦ possibly because they are bright enough for me to really noticeā€¦ :rofl: :rofl: :wink: ā€¦ flaming-arrowsā€¦ marvellousā€¦

1 Like

I like this siteā€¦ because it makes me really work at my Frenchā€¦

https://www.stelvision.com/

(even if they do translate planetsā€¦ as starsā€¦ :wink: :upside_down_face: :open_mouth: )

Never mind Stella, I still think youā€™re a star! :star2:

1 Like

no probsā€¦ :wink: :wink:

my little brother became interested in starsā€¦ them things up in the skyā€¦
at around 7 years of ageā€¦ poor thing, he tried to teach meā€¦ but totally failed.

His lifeā€™s work was what went on ā€œup thereā€ā€¦

Now heā€™s dead, I find myself gazing upwards more and moreā€¦ how I wish I had taken it all in, when I had the chanceā€¦

this heat is getting to everyone I reckon, one way or anotherā€¦

cheersā€¦ :hugs:

2 Likes

But it was a fun article that Stella posted. It isnā€™t meant to be serious astronomy