Sterling v Euro

IMO, as the UK starts to emerge from brexit and trades in the world economy without the stranglehold of the EU, we will see the UK economy strengthen while the EU economy weakens and the disparity between the currencies will grow in favour of Stirling.

2 Likes

That is my thought.

Structurally looking at the Eur longterm I will take a guess Gbp won’t be doing that badly

2 Likes

I’d stop smoking whatever it is you are smoking, oh and put the Kool-Aid back on the supermarket shelf, it’s all clouding your judgement.

How, exactly, do you think we will pull off this economic feat?

1 Like

watch and learn sonny boy, watch and learn

Typical Brexit fanboi answer.

No substance, precious little style, heavy on arrogance and blind faith.

2 Likes

No, sorry I can’t be arsed. Not because I can’t but because I have had too many such conversations with Brexit fanbois online and it always goes the same way – for once you fucking well come up with the argument first.

3 Likes

And if you’re wondering which way it goes, this might help

2 Likes

so, you don’t have structure response.
I thought not, too may late nights.

I sincerely hope the UK succeeds post Brexit I have family and responsibilities there. But I fear however it will suffer by no longer allowing easy trading with nearest its neighbours.

1 Like

Neither do you, clearly. You guys always play the game the same way - make an unsubstantiated faith based claim then sit there smugly going “you do all the running to construct an argument against me”, and then never provide any cogent, coherent argument of your own.

You made the claim, you get to back it up or piss off.

3 Likes

I think trading with the rest of the world will provide more opportunities than just trading with the EU.

the post started “IMO”, its an opinion not a theory sonny boy.

1 Like

I have absolutely no doubt that members of EU are sad that UK left and could have avoided the whole sorry process, but I imagine that there is also a sense of relief that “They” are gone.

The UK was never fully on-board with the fundamental EU principles.

There was a very interesting programme on BBC2 which suggested that given a little more time David Cameron could have got at least a partial concession that he sought but he was seeking fundamental changes over a period of 2 weeks.

2 Likes
1 Like

It would be interesting to hear if you have yet seen any tangible benefit from Brexit, I am interested to know how you life has improved, and secondly how you expect it to improve.

(don’t bother with suggestion that Covid vaccines were somehow related to Brexit as it is very clear that they are not)

From my end due to Brexit:

• We have had to move to France approx 5 years earlier than financially ideal
  • I had to apply for Irish Passport to maintain benefits of being in EU that we have just lost, process took 1 year and approx 300 euro.
  • There has been quite a process involved in getting Carte de Séjour
  • Driving licences are still not resolved and we may end up having to take test which when combined with compulsory driving lessons are very expensive (American friends have just sat their tests so I know this process well)
  • I think £ is approx 5% down v euro over last 4 years - I dread to think what this has cost us.
  • shipping stuff to UK and vice versa is now way more complex and therefore expensive, thus may seem trivial but to many people on here being able to get Yorkshire Tea at a relatively normal price (<3x) is important .
    …there must be others but these were the first things that came to mind.

The comment by @anon88169868 stands that we sometimes briefly hear from someone who is in favour of Brexit and it is all too common for some bizarre comments on feelings and freedom etc but then nothing further when I have sought a discussion - so I am genuinely interested to see what you have to say in support of Brexit and hope to have a reasoned rational calm discussion.

3 Likes

That was me!
I asked a question on sterling v euro to hopefully get an answer to what I was struggling to understand in the hope that I would receive helpful answers from those with a better understanding of the subject than me.
Those answers have been forthcoming which has indeed given me that better understanding.
I brought Brexit into the conversation as, according to many reports, IT was supposed to be the reason why sterling would become an insignificant currency to trade with others but so far it hasn’t happened.
There are many like yourself who believe Britain and Brexit are a match made in heaven and you are entitled to your opinion but dont bring it to this table just to stir the shit.

3 Likes

I guess the puzzling bit of Paul Ps first post (which got Paul F’s goat) was not the speculation that the £ would go up against the € in the long term, but the apparent rationale for this: that membership of the EU had placed a ‘stranglehold’ on UK trade ‘in the world economy’.

Exactly how erecting new trade barriers with your closest neighbours and most important markets enables this was not explained!

But a way of testing it, I would have thought, is to look at the export performance of EU countries generally - exports per capita, obviously, since total exports would tend to only measure the size of the economy, not its effectiveness. Turns out that of the world’s top 20 exporting countries, fully half are actually in the EU, and another 2 or 3 are in the EEA. So the interpretation that best fits the facts would seem to be that EU membership, far from being a ‘stranglehold’, probably facilitates international trade.

4 Likes

but hey @Geof_Cox why spoil a brexshiteer’s day with the simple truth :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like