Stop The Boats

“Article 692 provides for a nine-month notice of termination of the TCA by either party, but allows for an immediate “termination” effective on the day either party leaves the ECHR or a date “the denunciation” of its principles becomes effective.”

Sunak is out of control. One step forward on the NIP, two steps back on the boats.

1 Like

It’s obviously an election strategy rather than anything practical to reduce migration. I noticed their podiums now have little placards that say, ‘Stop the boats’ note the typeface used is reminiscent of those from the 1930s and '40s.

https://fontmeme.com/keep-calm-and-carry-on-font/

Faux nostalgia rules - can’t be arsed to deconstruct further - let them do whatever they want - I’ve given up on the UK. My only concern is the exchange rate!

11 Likes

Yep, setting up the claim for 2029: the Tories would have stopped illegal immigration but Labour stopped us.

I feel the same way. I’m incredibly grateful to have left when I did.

9 Likes

Me too, but still a worry for family though.

2 Likes

I don’t live in the UK but, when I did live there, I happened to work in a couple of places with very high proportions of immigrants. I can understand how people feel when the places where they were born are now taken over by immigrants. especially where those immigrants seem to pick and choose what bits of the British way of life that they want to adopt. When you walk down the road where you were born and are confronted by women wearing full on Muslim fundamentalist garb you may just wonder what the world has come to. When your children go to college and become friendly with other pupils but can never go to their homes because the family does not accept non-Hindus. I suspect that the conservatives are quite happy to have this subject as a distraction away from Brexit and the legacy of Boris Johnson

I’m not sure hearing language like “taken over by immigrants” or “confronted by full on Muslim fundamentalist garb” would make anybody feel like they were welcome.

I agree. Culture wars is all they seem to have left.

5 Likes

It seems pretty similar to some areas of France where “ex-pats” congregate without incorporating into French society.

16 Likes

Thing is, despite all the righteous indignation felt about what is and isn’t a ‘British way of life’, the fact is that it is not static but changes and evolves over time. The changes may often be a result of exposure to and absorption of other cultures.

It would say something positive about a Britain embracing change and feeling secure in the diversity instead of paranoid and threatened. Ditto, for that matter, France.

It would also be wiser given the inevitable future of mankind.

2 Likes

No, not really. I could say more, but why should I ?

4 Likes

Love this latest piece from Mr Crace

1 Like

Interesting thread on Twitter about the upcoming meeting between Sunak and Macron.

3 Likes

I’m struggling to compose a reply to this which fits within the site T&C, so I might just take the risk and say what I think.

What a load of (racist) tripe.

WTF is “full on Muslim fundamentalist garb” anyway? - do you mean the normal dress for members of that religion, or are there people stalking the streets of Leicester openly sporting Kalashnikov’s over their shoulders because, if there are, I haven’t spotted them.

Well that, at least, we can agree on.

14 Likes

It’s très sérieux . We have reason to believe there are at least 100 million migrants on the north French coast at the moment. Possibly billions. Everyone veut venir a Angleterre. It won’t be long before the whole world is in Dover.

:rofl: :joy: :sweat_smile:.

4 Likes

May I say that this is a very masculine take on this problem and for women it is a problem.
I found it extremely offensive when I used to see Muslim women in Gloucester covered head to toe in black and walking behind the male members of their family.
New legislation has been passed to prevent girls being married off at sixteen and taken abroad to be married against their will.
This is a problem in certain religious sections of British society.

2 Likes

OK, but this is a different aspect of the religious debate, here I share your concern - but it is complex.

I’m not sure about use of the term “offended” here, either.

Many Muslim women say that they are happy to wear a burkha as it is part of their cultural identity. OK, from a white, western, “Christian” perspective you might say “ah, but would they really say that if they truly had free choice”, but that *is* a white, western, Christian perspective and if a Muslim woman chooses to wear traditional garb who are you to say that she should not?

I agree than Islam can be extremely misogynistic - the situation in Afghanistan with the Taliban baning women and girls from secondary and tertiary education is utterly reprehensible without any possible excuse as far as I can see.

But it is not a problem unique to Islam - I hope that you are equally offended by the rise of the “Christian Right” (an oxymoron if ever there was) in the USA and their view of women’s bodies and rights to abortion, for example.

2 Likes

Most likely because they are afraid of powerful, intelligent women (or any women)

1 Like

Oi! Don’t conflate being Western with being Christian!

1 Like

I wasn’t.

Is it not illegal in France to wear the Burqha? France's burqa ban upheld by human rights court | French burqa and niqab ban | The Guardian

I have heard some Muslim women say the wearing of such an item of clothing is their own personal preference. I have read however that is often not the case and I am talking about women born and living in a western society. I think I prefer France’s position though I don’t have much understanding of how French Muslims feel about the restrictions.