Stop Watching Us

John I think you have described a very common phenomenon, and I dont believe it has anything to do with British people per se....I believe it absolutely describes a certain 'type' of Brit who becomes an ex pat. The comment 'living the dream' says it all. People who are intent to escape 'real life problems' and expect to live in paradise when they move abroad. I dont think that describes Brits living in the UK. There are plenty of daily examples of people fighting for what they believe in...however, one difference I have noticed, is that whilst the French will often protest', there is a much greater expectation of 'the authorities' looking after us, and with that is a greater acceptance that there is state involvement in everything we do.

If you don't want your activities looked at, and you have something to hide, don't use loyality cards, pay cash for everything, no credits cards, don't use a mobile phone/email,throw your satnav away,and definately don't hang around looking dodgey, I think most governments have their hands full looking at everyday real threats to have time to follow what you buy at a shop, or monitor phone calls to see who you're meeting for a coffee, having said that just cos' you're not paranoid, doesn't mean they're not looking at you!!

Jane i dont think anyone cares about anything. one French guy seemed to hit the nail in the head one day we were discussing the political problems in France he said you Brits dont really get involved with anything any interest/protest is really short lived as long as your pension is paid into the bank the bar is open and the sun is shining all is well with the world and i have proved it to myself 6 months ago i mentioned to our Brit group that we would loose our tv i was shouted down earned the nickname of Mr doom and gloom also we are in the process of loosing our winter fuel allowance, more howls, then discussions about expats health care and representation in parliament brought more jeers and howls of beware the end of the world .

Even on the Connections face book page when an Mp for ex pats was posted ,load of rubbish , more jobs for the boys were the comments is it any wonder the Gov can write us off and disregard us expats dont know about living the dream i think most expats are living in a dream

Avaaz has also had a petition on this subject, which I have signed.

There are too many people who are just sitting back and doing nothing. It is not just the intenet for us ex-pats we need to register to vote in the UK to be able to have a vote in any forthcoming in/out referendum, or do you not really care if you are no longer welcomed here in France?