Store Cupboard Stuff

So, we seem to have Marmite and Bovril on the imported shopping list. Anything else?
As I welcome culinary verbal abuse my next item is
BIRDS CUSTARD POWDER

Must be down to his last 1,000,000! You’re right he’s sold out.

Making the pasta? Woah! I’d never find the time for that! I have a friend who invited us over for tagliatelli and we had to roll it and cut the dough ourselves with the machine. The kids loved it but it took AGES.

I’m not that dedicated! :slight_smile:

Have you seen the latest ad for Knorr stock cubes with Pierre Marco White mashing them up with oil and then spreading the paste onto chicken breasts and frying.

shocked

Makes me think of Delia’s ‘cheats’ but at least you know what she’s trying to do - quick and easy cook’s aids. PMW just looks like he’s sold out. Is he in financial trouble?

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

All - I find that batting my eyelashes when I have served up something particularly horrific, helps no end.

I’ve stopped wearing it since I found out it was tested on women…

…and you use that in which recipe???

Now that has got me thinking - if I can just find the missing ingredient - maybe I can turn my marmite into Bovril…

You can find ok white bread in France but its so ridiculously expensive that beans on toast becomes a gourmet treat. Spanish prices are comparable to the UK. AND they sell Rimmel mascara!!!

Yes, the Spanish white sliced is nicer than its French counterpart, which seems to be sweetened, why, I don’t know. However, TOASTELIGNE (think that’s how it’s spelled) is just like its UK counterpart,apart from being twice the price. Northern French supermarkets seem to have quite a range of sliced white bread as I recall.
Marmite is in the supermarkets here, but at a vastly inflated price.
Sad for you re’ Bovril - however, if you check the ingredients, it is made up identically to Marmite - the beef extract is no more…

You can get Marmite and Heinz beans at reasonable prices in Al Campo - first supermarket in Spain five mins on from the border crossing in on the A64. Plus cheap white sliced bread (which I have to confess a terrible weakness for) and lots of other things that are quite British in taste.

No Bovril sadly though which I am addicted to!

Dare I ask about Store Cupboard Stuff that we get send over from the UK???
I am guilty as charged and still use a lot of UK dried and canned staples.
So, let’s start the shopping list…

MARMITE!

Agreed you can’t seem to get a reliable constant supply of good steaks to cook at home in our area. The best place to go is our local beach (on the river) café where animal (steak or lamb chops) are always brilliant.

We fancy trying that, never had the courage.

Great thread Suzie

But you only get the hero cookie if your make the fresh pasta in your house like my hubby - yeah I’m a lucky girl.

They are particularly good in a quiche or carbonara.

They seem to vary very widely - if you know a really good butcher who sources his own they can be fab _ esp in northern France - but agree by and large are rubbish

Thanks for the link! They sound yummy. I feel my quiche repertoire expanding…

I have to admit James does virtually all the cooking round here…

PS

I do like animal and chips now and again.
But honestly, I don’t rate the steaks in France.

Below link to Lecrerc for Lardons de Canard.

I think we buy ours in leader-price. I say I think because I don’t do shopping.
I do cook every weekend though, not bad for a bloke who works full time…eh Catharine

http://www.e-leclerc.com/marennes/dyn/marque/nosregions/home.asp?ta=open&region=aquitaine&prod_id=66774