Strange flavour of spam?

Am I alone in receiving a new flavour of spam emails?

In the past 10 days I have received an average of 2-3 mails a day addressed to the same account xxxxxx@aol.com

Is this a new style of phishing? I presume the bogus mailinglist creators are hoping that I will respond with my real email addresss, which they can then target in turn?

After I think the fourth same address message I’ve written a rule sending all similar straight to the appropriate receptacle. But I’m just curious ???

No, well probably not, they “knew” your email address to send you the spam - what you are seeing is the difference between the “envelope” address (used to actually send the email) and the message or “To:” address which can be anything.

Or it could be backscatter

1 Like

are they US oriented? Often, within the email client, you can mark as spam but don’t for heavens sake click on them out of curiosity :wink:

1 Like

got a lovely email today… to an old hotmail address which OH no longer uses…

reminding me that my TV licence is out of date… which is a bit odd since we’ve not had a UK licence since the old king died…

here are a couple of screen shots, which avoid showing our personal information…

obviously, I did NOT press on the “renew now” button…

Wise.

By the way, I am now in charge of receiving everyone’s taxe d’habitation/speeding or parking fines/ whatever: just send the sum to my account… :grin::grin::grin:

2 Likes

@an_droo has already cornered that market vero :slightly_smiling_face:
Do you offer a discount?

2 Likes

Oh yes! 10% off if you send it to me…

2 Likes

I can’t offer disconts but I do give you a justificatif and that’ll be the end of the matter ! :wink:

2 Likes

You would imagine they would do a spell check before sending out tens of thousands of these.