Straws in the Brexit wind?

Huh, she lives in my home town! She should know it’s jam first. :slight_smile:

Oh did I get that catastrophically wrong!? The Cornish way, of course. :scream:

1 Like

Here was me thinking that you put jam on one half, clotted cream on the other, stuck the two halves together and then ate it. Either jam side up first or maybe clotted cream first !:rofl:

3 Likes

Philistine! Whoops. Is that being racist?

Surely that depends on which way up I eat it David ? :wink:

A neat suggestion, Ann, but fatally flawed because the two halves of a horizontally sliced scone are not the same. One half (the ‘top’) has a bobbly, browned top and an inferior, sliced lower surface. The other half has an superior, sliced surface, and a flat baked lower surface from its contact with the baking tray.

Dolloping cream on the lower cut surface of the top half, and spooning jam on the upper cut surface of the lower half yields the clear result of cream on top, and reversing the process yields another! So back to the drawing board!

And this also overlooks the raspberry-jam v strawberry-jam conundrum… :upside_down_face:

Peter, Peter, Peter…
One simply cuts the scone vertically ! :rofl:

2 Likes

Frankly… the scones are generally a decent size… does anyone have a mouth big enough to put in the whole scone, plus jam and dollop of thick cream… :open_mouth:

I would put jam, cream… on each half… and eat it with gusto… and as little spillage as possible… :wink::hugs:

And in case anyone else comes up with a facile objection to my proposal, what about the tricky issue of which half you eat first, or which way up you hold the half you eat when you deliver it to your lips?

Big enough mouth, Stella?

Yes, me! :lips::grin::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

My mouth is watering reading this.
If anyone wants to post me some scones, jam AND clotted cream, they will find that all their posts get liked / approved / hearted/ tweeted/ promoted etc etc etc for the foreseeable future.
Just sayin…

2 Likes

Cut the halves into quarters then pop a quarter in your mouth, jam and cream at the same time, I think :thinking: Getting a bit confused now :scream:

1 Like

We moved from Devon back to Suffolk. someone’s birthday, so my mother arranged to have Cornish Clotted Cream sent by post… amazingly, it arrived without going “off” and we kids had a wonderful surprise tea-time … :hugs:

Would it make it to France… ??

1 Like

Or pop two quarters in at once, one creamside up, the other jamside up, that would be a good ECJ decision, which is (when I think deeply about it) why I voted Remain. :expressionless:

1 Like

just saying… there is a wonderful smell coming from my kitchen… I have too many lemons and limes… won’t get used before our flight… so I’m boiling them up to make marmalade… mmmmm…:hugs:

1 Like

Cream by post is a diversionary tactic, and butters no parsnips, Stella, which reminds me that we need a thread on parsnip-buttering to enliven the weekend… Salted or Unsalted, that is the question!

1 Like

Bon voyage, Stella, and stay sniffle-free! :grin:

1 Like

I’m off to re-pack the cases (yet again)… so you might well have to start a new Thread yourself Peter…

cheers

1 Like

You can get it here. :yum::yum:

https://www.britishcornershop.co.uk/roddas-clotted-cream

1 Like

I worked in a local post office sorting office at Christmas for three years. The amount of clotted cream that went out by post on Christmas Eve was incredible. Clotted cream by post was a regular thing back in the day, it’s probable available all over the U.K. in supermarkets these days.

1 Like