Sudafed Alternatives?

Does anyone know a good alternative to Sudafed in France?
Ps, don’t worry, you can’t catch Coronavirus by replying. :grin:

1 Like

What’s Sudafed?

A decongestant, very effective for me, I have terrible lungs and sudafed has helped to keep my lungs clear a number of times. It has a very good ingredient that I can’t pronounce or write.

If you take the packet/whatever into your pharmacy… they will check the ingredients lisgted and often try to find the equivalent on their shelves… or at least tell you what they can offer… :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

Good idea, problem is, I am not sure if I have a packet left, maybe I can print something off the internet.

The active ingredient in Sudafed is Pseudoephedrine so a pharmacy may sell you a equivalent or a generic,however they may need a doctors prescription

1 Like

Thanks, that’s right, the problem with France, or not, is that it is all so much more restricted. No one I know is going over to the UK to smuggle some back for me at the moment.

I had my cousin sticking her tongue out at a pharmacy assistant who agreed with my diagnosis of oral thrush but all she could give us was bicarbonate of soda as any anti fungal needed a prescription

1 Like

I love sticking my tongue out at the pharmacy assistant. :joy: :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Have you tried Amazon UK, looks as if they post to Europe.

This may be useful

2 Likes

Hi, thanks. There is a major problem with amazon and others now refusing to post ‘medicines’ and medical items, the law changed the other year, and now you can order and as you prepare to complete your order, they simply say ‘This is a restricted item, we can’t post to that country, etc’.
I used to order all my various gubbins on amazon, but now, no, and my UK forwarding service charge the earth to send things over.

1 Like

Thanks, you’re good at finding these details.

1 Like

Thank you, no secret to it: google is my friend :grin:

1 Like

If you will be living in France permanently… presumably you will be discussing this with your Doctor… and he/she will also be able to advise you on alternatives to Sudafed which are available in France. :thinking:

2 Likes

Yeah, I live here permenantly but just moved to a new house and hoping to register with new doctor asap, but with a whole load of other things that need to be addressed. Hence wondering about if a similar product is available at the pharmacie. I can get one of my other meds over the pharmacie counter that I used to get in the UK on prescription, funny paradox that.

Sudafed does appear to be available in France… although with or without Script is unclear… whatever, it would be good for your Dr to know what you are up to… :wink:

In the UK, Sudafed is available prescription free not just at pharmacies, but at supermarkets and health and beauty stores.

Actually, one site says the medication was taken off the French market in 2013… ooops

1 Like

The doctor does or will know, it should be on my carte vitale notes that I use sudafed, I was due a proper lung checkup at the hospital this week, but somehow the appointment has vanished from their records, the French health system is great fun. They told me either the appointment has been deleted or it is at the other clinic. It will get sorted, don’t worry about my doctor knowing what I am up to, they were impressed with the comprehensive notes I brought with me when I FINALLY got my carte vitale. My carte vitale was a YEAR late in arriving.