Summa Cum Laude

What a great idea, Karen and Carol. I'll try it. I'm determined not to let go of that old wreck without a struggle. It's like the Cubans and their old American cars. And thanks for making me feel better about my stupidity, Carol. I laughed at the idea of the MP3 diving down the loo in the middle of your French language tuition. You must have been practising your Gallic shrug. I'll let you know about mine after the rice tip, Johnny.

Mark, this did make me laugh, as I did a similar silly thing, dropping my MP3 player in the loo whilst listening to my french language tuition. (Trying to multitask, as I was cleaning the loo at the time). It did eventually dry out and works but not without a few 'quirks', but I have it on good authority that sometimes if mobile phones are given impromptu swimming lessons, the trick is to put them into a bowl of rice grains and leave in a warm place i.e airing cupboard for a few days and they gain a new lease of life. Congratulations to your daughter by the way, a good result which probably means you will now be losing her to the big wide world of University.

I know this is a bit late for the rescue of the old Sagem but the best way to solve a water ingress problem in a mobile phone is to take it apart as much as possible then place it it all in a bag of rice for a few days. The rice absorbs the water and hey presto!- a working phone......

Agent Orange - like! As quick as a quinzaine, I haven't had by far enough paperwork for that yet.

Brian, I plead guilty as charged. I writ a rude word, I can't deny it - but quite unconsciously. I do sympathise about the Blackberry. I'm dreading having to go in and queue chez Orange and then having to explain what happened et cetera et cetera. It's bound to take letters, attestations, the works. I think France Telecom should really have changed its name to Agent Orange to be quite truthful with its customers. Good luck with your (tele)communications. I hope to read of a brand new Blackberry before a quinzaine has passed.

Oh Mark, did you write the 'ejaculation' word out in full. There is a Latin filter you know.

I gained some sympathy and no doubt a few smirks when my Blackberry migrated down the well a few weeks ago. There was a rash of remarks both humorous and reflecting people's own anxieties. The insurance office had all four people in when I went in, the agent himself is part of our social set so I knew discretion and all that was destined to become sniggers from people I would myself never have told. The claim, well it was processed and I get a reasonable settlement considering it was my own silly fault. Also Orange. I went into their local agent who looked up my name on his computer and so on and then asked what he could do for me? I told him my lamentations, he smiled, asked if I was insured and typed some stuff into the computer, sent it and waited. Orange told him my phone was still live. Oh, said I, under two metres or more of water with 16 metres of well shaft above it and about three weeks down there and it is still live. He called Orange. They had called our landline! No, repeated I, the Blackie went down the well but not the landline. He repeated that down the phone, there was a pause, then I was told the Blackie was not calling. The temptation to grab the agent by the throat was high, but I realised it was somebody at Orange in place X. I basically only wanted to get a replacement. Eventually a large committee of people, I imagined, voted and accepted that I was asking for a new Blackie. I am still waiting. I have called the freephone line a couple of times but nobody is interested, I have signed one of their rotten contracts which I apparently cannot withdraw from without some huge penalty, so stuck with it - no Blackie. I am considering buying some paper and a pen, a goose quill if need be, and beginning correspondence by mail as we once did again. It'll get what I have to say across quicker. The age of the mobile, Mark, has disappointed me because nobody communicates any longer.