Surviving France?.. Doesn't bl*@dy feel like it!

Charles, called John, this thread was started by Jeanette Leuers last Thursday, stating her point of view on how she sees “service” in France, which seems to be at variance with the majority of those who have posted on this blog. She went on to say that there is no such thing as common courtesy, with which both and I and Lucy Backs disagree. How do you all feel about this?

OMG - is it supposed to GO somewhere??

I’ve lost the thread of where this is going…

:-))

Thanks Lucy. I totally agree.

Well said Jane!! And actually there is such a thing as “common courtesy” - of course there are vaariations on a theme depending on where you live - but there are still basic levels of politeness that can be maintained!!

Surviving France doesn’t bl*@dy feel like it! is the title of this blog. I hadn’t extended my thinking beyond that, certainly not international boundary free and everyone loves you and going on to say that, in effect, I am living in cloud cuckoo land.
I expect the common courtesy from you that we have been talking about here on SFN.

My favourite example was when we first arrived here 7+ years ago and I had to be registered very quickly into the French tax system. I had a box file with all sorts of stuff in it. The people in the tax office in Tarbes were very helpful and kept getting more and more people into the tiny room to sort out the letters that I needed. eventually we had the Senior manager with us. he sat down and looked my papers. he then asked to see anothe folder that had in the box. It had loads of crests and stamps and signatures and things stapled to it. This obviously impressed him no end and clinched the cooperative spirit that we already had. He arranged my letters for me with great enthusiasm and we all left. What clinched it ?? it was the 'Defra folder with all the paperwork for our 2 dogs and 1 cat who had arrived with us. And that is not meant to be rude or patronising as we have had a lot of help and support with admin stuff since we,ve been here . But I totally agree with Andy, sometimes you have to play the game on your terms.

Peter: “So, to be happy - you have to join your group = grab another glass of intoxicant - and proceed to destroy your liver watching the sunflowers grow and admiring the fact that nobody has repaired that stone wall in 400 years.”
Love this!!! I will use your quote, if you don’t mind, in explaining to my friends why i love living here! Classic. :slight_smile:

Surviving - yes, after 11+ years - but agree about the bureaucracy. Coping measures - always give them much more paperwork than they actually ask for originally, then when they ask for something else just say -but you didn’t ask for it!’ or ‘sorry, we don’t have those in the UK’. The carte familiale is a case in point there - they just can’t understand why you don’t have one! In other words, frustrate them as much as they frustrate you.

Andy

I guess it would be more on subject that it IS annoying that so many new employees seem to be trained in the field of “making studies” like how to have gas, and nuclear electric kilowatt hours through EDF come out costing exactly the same to the householder. Or how to screw you on the cost of telephone or TV service no matter which direction you turn… and how surprising it is that competition doesn’t seem to exist - or that there is no gray market - no matter how many online companies you search out for a better price on an exercise bike - for example brings up 1000 companies reselling at exactly the same price. It’s really all ludicrous. So, to be happy - you have to join your group = grab another glass of intoxicant - and proceed to destroy your liver watching the sunflowers grow and admiring the fact that nobody has repaired that stone wall in 400 years.

I’ve found a few ways to deal with this neurosis. 1) don’t try to do anything that brings you into contact with the local population… this reduces frustration intolerance. The less you look to depend on their (quasi) competence, the happier and more peaceful you will be. 2) when you feel your blood begin to boil, recite the mantra “This is France” or “but They’re French!” This mantra seems to imply an excuse for the logic that is lacking in your contact and helps calm the nerves.
Having said that… I just had a furious blow out with a summer-time Brit when I made a comment about how our department may have a wonderful medical system but does not necessarily attract the cream of the qualified medical crop… he, having no experience whatsoever - accused me of being an ungrateful lout - as if it’s better to die from incompetence as an expat than to complain about the idiots I encounter. Seems frustrations go both ways…

Understand your frustrations totally and it does sometimes feel like you throw good money and effort after bad sometimes with the administrative bodies and large corporate (mainly ex-state) systems. That said, it was no better in Belgium when I lived there and the British systems were not much better. If I ever move to the southern Netherlands (only other appealing and practica choice) I may be able to report on how the Dutch are with such matters. Courage… à fond!

As I said before, common courtesy should apply to both sides here. End of argument!!!

Sometimes everywhere you go gets it right, sun shines and you have a lovely day, othertimes shop keepers, motorists, family and friends annoy the hell out of you, think there are more good than bad days and we should all chill out and enjoy…at least we are alive, nothing so serious about a shop to get knickers in a twist…chill everyone and go with the flow!! It is all too complicated when buying a box of soap powder is what we are talking here. Seen the skies embedded with stars? the butterflies dart here and there and that wonderful smile a stranger gives you…God Bless and enjoy.

Jeanette, you attacked the Brits for their attitude to service and now you are equating us with communist or ex-communist countries. If you are a customer with the “money to pay” you should be welcomed by the shop. Common courtesy should be expected by both sides of any transaction. Antagonistic or I don’t give a damn attitudes are not helpful to anyone.

Apology accepted John. I will put my thinking cap on again.

Thanks Jane, fingers crossed.

I do hope that you get your carte vitale soon. I asked for, and received, a receipt for the documents that they had asked for. That didn’t stop them making a different mistake, already alluded to in previous posts. We have also had a rant about the thin blue line in Carrefour.

John Hilton you have read my mind, I love France except for anything that includes relying on someone behind a desk, June 2009 I applied for my carte vital and after two visits to the office in Toulouse personally handing my birth certificate translated into French to the femme and her telling me that all is good and I will receive the carte vital, I have again two weeks ago (August 2011)had to resend another copy as they seem to have no record of receiving my other two, so again I wait with every visit from la poste, in hope that one day I can announce to my family that ““YES”” I have received it, but until that day I will not be holding my breath. This is one incident in many and could really write a book about all the frustrating, annoying trips to and from many an office hoping that I would not have to return a second time, but as yet this has never happened. Maybe they should introduce CUSTOMER SERVICE into France, or is that asking for too much, in my local Carrefour they have put up signs saying that if you are behind the blue line (which has been carefully put about two trolley lengths behind the cash till) they will open another cash till - oh I thought customer service at last, but having spent 25 minutes standing in line well behind the line and only one other open till with the same problem, this did not happen - may be this does not apply between the hours of 12 and 2pm the small print did not mention anything. Anywho life must go on, my advice to anyone thinking of moving to France. Do not expect anything in a hurry and that way you will not be dissapointed. Good Luck…