Swinging The Lead

so - who puts these viruses in the air?

Sorry Jane, the virus is in the AIR…you dont have to catch the cold from a person, you can open a door using a door handle that someone who has picked up the virus has touched. You have less chance of catching colds, in the same way you have less chance of getting an upset stomach, the more you are in contact with the germs. You build up your own antibodies. The people most at risk of getting any diseases, viruses etc are those who do not normally come in contact with them.

or perhaps less people would catch them

For goodness sake Ernest! Why don't you read the rest of Mark's (excellent) blog posts and understand the tone in which they are written before you make such ridiculous assertions such as *He even admits to falling off his own perch when it suited him.*

Like Brian said - lighten up.

Didnt say that Jane…I said you have MORE chance of catching a cold before the symptoms show. If every company had a worker take off 3 - 7 days with a cold, the country would be bankrupt!

Now you see Brian…most doctors would willy nilly give out sick notes for a hip replacement, no discussion…6 weeks off. I am fit enough to sit in an office and work an 8 hour day and I had my surgery last Tuesday. Providing I get up hourly and walk around for 5 minutes, there is nothing to stop me working (other than the fact Im a nurse and physically couldnt manage that this week!!! Sick notes are too frequently used as a blanket, not considering the individual and their own constitution and their own profession.

I had no idea you couldn't catch a cold from morons who go to work with coughs and sneezes - thanks Carol - I'll forget about using gloves when I'm emptying waste paper baskets of snotty tissues and sharing bises with people who tell me how ill they are after I enquire 'ca va?' in future - safe in the knowledge that the danger of catching anything has passed

;-) Carol.

You have more chance of catching the cold Jane…before they exhibit symptoms.

Bad day Ernest?

OK - I caught a cold from colleagues which developed into bronchitis

Yes it does. I am sick to death of self employed lording it over others. It is the usual twaddle from people who should no better.you are bashing everyone who does not suit your own so called standards.it seems to me that you want to flatter yourselves. He even admits to falling off his own perch when it suited him.
For the record I was self employed for years but budgeted for days of the inevitable illness. You should all count your blessings but for the grace of god etc.

Its a difficult call whether or not you should go to work with a cold. Considering most people will get a couple of colds a year, not ideal to have at least two sick leaves in one 12 month period for something which doesnt prevent you working. Colds are most contageous before the individual displays the symptoms…so you are more likely to catch it before they appear to have a cold. Colds are caused by a virus, the viruses are in the air all the time, you will catch a cold on Tuesday rather than Thursday, despite the virus being a constant in the air because of your own immune system being more vulnerable on one day than another. You can ‘catch’ a cold…you cant catch bronchitis. You are more likely to develop bronchitis from a cold if you are a smoker, live with a smoker, or are in contact with polluted air that originates from vehicle exhaust, wood-burning stoves, tobacco smoke, coal burning, and grilling food. Also if you have a compromised immune system. As a nurse if you call in sick with a cold you are given very short shrift. The expectation is you take time off work sick when you are unable to get out of bed you are so ill. Most cold symptoms can be dealt with using modern medication.

Agree Brian…its a lovely piece that Mark has written…about a subject which I expect is dear to the heart of many French people…hardly deserves cross comments about holier than thou twaddle…blimey…where did that come from? and is anyone bashing the French in this thread John? a little reminder, this site is called ‘Survive France’ so subjects that seem to be examining the way French do things is what you would expect…if the site was called Lets all Flatter France…then it would be fair comment!

Mark, a very contentious subject no doubt. I found it very insightful and I think it goes a long way to explain the Gallic shrug.... the very fabric of the French society.

Lighten up people, Mark is hardly attempting to instigate a serious discussion with this. Therefore, unless humour is being extracted from people by those same doctors whilst we are not watching, at least smile and not get so defensive about it all!

the people that really annoy me are the 'brave soldiers' who struggle on and go to work sneezing and coughing up their germs, spreading illness. In the two and a half years I have been in my present job I've been off sick twice - both times signed off work for four days as a result of catching bronchitis from colleagues. far, far better to see the doctor, get a sick note and keep your bloody germs to yourself

I agree with John Scully. I am too busy with my own life and as self sufficient as I cam be to be criticising others. Who hasn’t been there. This holier than throw “self employed” twaddle.
Live here accept that it is different. Everybody have as good a day as they can manage and seasons good wishes.

If you live alone, as I do, and are sick - you still need to replenish food stocks etc. Hardly swinging the lead

Harassment, Carol? When my wife & I were teaching, if we were off sick we were not only expected to prepare work for our classes (to be covered by other staff) but also to mark the resulting efforts of the students. We'd be rung every day to ask if it was possible we would be back that morning.

On one occasion my concerned boss even brought me some marking - I was in CCU at the time!