Take extra care of your speed!

This may well be a female thing… we are, naturally, sensitive souls IMO … :hugs:

I do know the surge feeling that Ann talks about… OH uses CC … I never use CC myself… as I am always in my (personal) alert mode when driving…

Not knocking any other drivers… I just know what works best for me… :hugs:

1 Like

The cruise control in my old BMW 7 series doesn’t use the brakes but it reputedly does sneaky things with the automatic transmission to get you some form of engine braking to at least stay near the speed you selected, even downhill.

Our Clio tends to do this a little, when going uphill it’ll drop down in speed, then attempt to reach the selected speed, overshoots that a little, and it just sort of wobbles around a bit until it’s at the speed selected. Or basically just never reaching it because a Clio has all the power of a gnat >.>

As far as enjoying driving, I love driving as well, but I’m also a lazy fucker and if I’m driving 9 hours to visit my dad in Holland, you can bet your behind that the first thing I do when I hit the autoroute is set the cruise control if traffic isn’t too dense.

1 Like

I love cruise control, especially on my regular drives between the SW and Germany, not having to press down on a pedal for 9 or so hours is a relief.

1 Like

Me too !!! Use it whenever I can - must have saved me a fortune in fines :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Serious question, Simon… how far below a speed limit… do you set the cruise-control… because I notice that, after a slower patch, I can watch the speedo climb over the top before it settles back where it should…

There’s probably a magic number or percentage… and I’m just wondering what it would be…
:thinking:

Actually I normally set it at the speed limit knowing that I’ll actually be moving around 2-3 kmph slower than that (speedos register high by law). My current automatic car holds the speed perfectly, uphill, downhill, wherever - no surges here!

Mmm… that’s interesting… we have 2 cars with cruise control and neither manages to remain below the set Limit… all of the time…

Perhaps yours is more modern… MB 2005 and Peugeot 2012 are ours.

OH uses CC regularly… me … never… :upside_down_face:

My 2000 BMW 730 holds speeds just fine, it never goes over, never under, even after a slow patch if you bump the speed back up. And I’m not Simon, but I set my CC at 134km/h generally (since that gets me exactly 130km/h on GPS).

Mmm… that certainly tells me that CC is variable from car to car…

Once, I persuaded OH to set the limit at about 8kh-10kh below the Speed Limit… the CC did not seem to go over the Speed Limit… which tells me that there is leeway in the CC…

Mind you… the documentation which comes with both cars… talks about the driver never relying on CC but using it as an “aid” … which makes sense… A driver needs to remain alert and in control… (certainly when driving our cars… :rofl:)

Actually it’s the speedo that’s variable, they always register you going faster than you actually are, and cruise control operates based on the speedo. Every car is different, and it requires using GPS to find out what your difference is.

That’s pretty much implied; I use the CC mainly just to not have to have my foot on the pedal for 8 hours if I’m driving long distance, but at any time I can just toggle CC off and continue driving. Whenever there’s traffic, or you enter a slower stretch, CC goes off. As soon as you exit autoroute, CC comes off and stays off :slight_smile:

Good heavens…!

All new cars in France are to be built with Intelligent Speed ​​Adaptation (ISA) as standard from July 1, 2022, under a new law voted in by the European Parliament.

ISA (AIV in French) uses artificial intelligence to identify the speed limit on the road the car is travelling on using cameras which can read speed signs. This data is then cross-referenced with GPS systems in the car that can identify its precise location.

If the driver goes over the limit, the car will give a visual and audio alert and the car will automatically start to slow down.

Is this true?

Yes believe it is, various parts of the changes have been posted on here over the year it was first agreed. The UK despite being out of the UK will adopt the system as well.
2021 cars will be very popular.

1 Like

I believe you can turn it off.

Whilst it appears that one can choose to “turn off” this new system of speed control in 2022 vehicles… it is interesting to note that said vehicles will also have a “black box” (which can’t be switched off) … and it will save data (speed, braking, position on the road, wearing of seat belts, etc.) in the event of an accident.

If it means speed humps can be removed then its a plus.

1 Like

I wonder, if this system is instituted, whether the cost of insurance will come down. I think it should, but that probably won’t happen!

I reckon you can bet any infringement will put it up though.

You are probably right. Knowing you have this system on board and you continue to go too fast then you are a careless driver and will have to pay a higher premium. But if you are a careful driver, as I am, then premiums should go down! Crying for the moon?

UK already has the box on insurance forms to agree to this spy in the car stuff. I think moneysavingexpert said agreeing to this could make possible a big reduction in premium for younger drivers.

Sounds like as you guys are saying the danger is that some driving patterns and locations even if not illegal will lead to vast increases in premiums. Somehow it seems improbable any of this data will be used to reduce premiums, doesn’t it?