Taking jewellery to france

I would be grateful for any advice regarding taking my jewellery permanently to France. My husband said he would take it in the car but I think it may be safer if I take it as carry on when I fly over two weeks later.
How did others transport their jewellery please?
It’s not that valuable but I have pieces collected over years which have individual memories for me.

We brought my jewellery over in the car when we moved.
Obviously, there was the two of us so that one person could stay with the car on our journey over.
Is there no way that you could both come in the car?

1 Like

I took my expensive stuff as carryon luggage in my handbag. The cheapie stuff went in the car, squirreled away in a box of clothes.

1 Like

That would be the ideal solution. But i have to stay for my daughter’s graduation ceremony.

I do hope you have somewhere safe suitable to store the family jewels when you arrive.

1 Like

Before I moved here I gave away pieces to family that I would have left to them in my will (not planning needing the will yet), but brought mine over in the car, however I have very little of value and it was packed beneath several layers of chicken and parrot paraphernalia!

1 Like

Never come across that problem before Teresa…

Have you considered wearing the pieces that have most meaning for you ? (It worked for Mr T) :wink:

Maybe buy a large shoulder bag and pack some pieces in that. The rest ‘squirrel away’ in the car and let hubby take them. :thinking:

2 Likes

I’m not sure flying would be a hugely better option. Do you mean that you would have them in your handbag? How would you be getting to the airport, and then from the airport to your french home? As travelling with a handbag on public transport seems to be a greater risk to me than having them tucked into a car. If they would fit into a money belt or similar then your husband wouldn’t even have to leave them unattended.

And just in case, do make sure your insurance will cover you. Doesn’t replace the sentimental value, but it helps. Oh, and take photos of them as well just in case.

1 Like

We always carried my wife’s jewellery with us whatever the mode of transport and wherever we were going. On one occasion my wife packed it into a tightly sealed tin box in our hand luggage which of course caused panic when we went through security at the airport. I still remember the security officer backed up against the wall as far away as she could get, a look of terror on her face, as I opened the tin to show them what was in it. Fond memories.

1 Like

I made a friend here who is a jeweller and talked to her about my family pieces of jewellery, some of which I shall never wear but which has sentimental value, or which feels wrong to sell. Together, we worked up some designs to melt down the gold, extract the jewels and with those create entirely new pieces to my own design … thus I have some fabulous, unique, stunning rings (including a little frog on a lilypad - everyone comments on it!) at little cost except for her labour. Just an idea for those who are staring into the jewellery box at family pieces that are out of fashion, wrong size, not their taste, etc. Make a piece that suits you and you can wear with pride.

1 Like

I would always take valuables in the car as there they would be completely anonymous. Carrying them in a handbag will draw more attention even if it’s only when you are explaining why you are carrying such items through customs. I must live in a different world as I’ve never been in a position where jewellery being carried in the car is worth more than a fraction of the car itself.
Years ago my parents inherited a painting that turned out to have some value as it was ‘School of Newlyn’. It was a dreary picture of a black horse being led down a dark lane at dusk. Soon after hearing about this new acquisition I asked to see it and my dad went to get it and it arrived from it’s hiding place in a large Tesco bag. Much cheaper than insurance apparently. They sold it, for an incredible amount of money (to me) soon afterwards although the sum they received was far short of either the expert or insurance valuations. I can also remember having afternoon tea with one of their elderly neighbours, she was explaining how she was unhappy because, despite owning a lifetime of lovely jewellery, she wore nothing but cheap copies because her son insisted that the real pieces were too valuable to be used and were safely locked away in the bank.

Would love to see some photos Sandy, sounds lovely and what a great idea too :slight_smile:

1 Like

Well I like big and bold so delighted with this. Frog on a lilyp[ad ring, and also a dragonfly design with diamonds. Someone once offered to buy the dragonfly ring straight from my hand.

3 Likes