Tall Ships update - The Hermione

This does look worth a visit… and it is school holidays…

(To quote Google Translate: The last Newfoundland Martian can be visited. :roll_eyes:)

1 Like

For people who want to give it a go, or just dream.

Some great experiencies to be had on these boats, I was a Mate with’ The Ocean Cruising Club’ in Scotland, and really enjoyed introducing kids and adults, many from challenging backgrounds, to sailing and the beauty of the Scottish West Coast :slightly_smiling_face:

In our younger days… we would dash off to see and be enthralled by the Tall Ships…if they were anchoring anywhere near us…

Glorious stuff… .but I would never have made it to the Crow’s Nest…:relaxed:

1 Like

I sailed with the Ocean Youth Club for a while.

Do watch the video showing the Hermione entering le Vieux Port de Marseille… this afternoon…

Put it on full screen, sit back and enjoy…

2 Likes

Thanks Stella a fine replica She is!, brought back memories, spent a couple of weeks there 30 odd years ago, how time passes!

A genuine replica Bill, built without modern tools.

1 Like

She is magnificent Dominic, I passed the Endeavour in the Canaries years ago that was impressive and I have a pic of Her, off my home town, Whitehaven, on the wall here!

1 Like

Just on my way back home after a couple of traumatic weeks, on the Dieppe ferry and just seen this - russian tall ship, Sedov

6 Likes

Glad you are OK… welcome back… :hugs:

1 Like

Thanks, just holed up in an Ibis in Chartres , early start tomorrow.

Bonne route Mark

1 Like

Aha… you might find my name in the Visitors’ Book… :wink: I love Chartres and we often stop-over there on the way North…

Two Tall Ships memories:-

Boston Waterfront (MASS not Lincs) summer 1988/9(?) visiting the Russian entry which had run out of funds (and food!) after the collapse of the Soviet Union during the Race. The crew were selling anything and everything (items of uniform, cap badges etc.) that was not essential to the basic functioning of the ship. Meanwhile, the good people of Boston were raising sufficient money to enable the Russians to complete the race.

As if this wasn’t sufficient to imperil the project, inside the ship was badly corroded and I felt the whole vessel was just being held together by thick cream coloured paint. The miraculous powers of Hammerite’s Russian equivalent.

Tall Ships 2: One summer evening looking out of the dining room window in our house at the mouth of the Solway Firth and seeing a strange silhouette coming north from the Isle of Man. In a few minute’s this became an elegant sailing ship and eventually it pulled into Maryport harbour. although the harbour is now enclosed by modern apartment blocks, the ship’s masts were still visible above the roofline; just as they wold have been above the warehouses two hundred years ago.

And best of all…?

The ship was the actual Black Pearl of Johnny Depp and The Pirates of the Carribean. A surreal conjunction of maritime history and contemporary Hollywood.

2 Likes

I’m embarrassed to admit that there’s actually a third - how did I overlook that one?

2004 Gateshead: Chris Burdon’s Ghost Ship
http://www.locusplus.org.uk/projects/68~Ghost+Ship

The day the Tall Ships arrived in Newcastle; an unmanned sail boat came up the Tyne; seemingly navigating by magic. It was an artwork by the US artist Chris Burdon and a reference to his friend and former colleague the Dutch artist Jan Ader, who had previously solo sailed the Atlantic and then disappeared while solo sailing back to Europe. His boat was found months later off the coast of Ireland.

Magical moment seeing an unmanned sailing vessel making its way up the Tyne.

Tall Ships - powerful stuff!

1 Like

Fascinating stories - one of my earliest memories of the Tall Ships was seeing, from my perch near the castle above Falmouth, Tall Ships emerging out of the mist like ghostly apparitions, some time in the 80s I think. I wish I had taken photos.