Tankers attacked in The Gulf. Norwegian Captain says his ship was hit, not mined

Frank Gardener , the BBC Security Correspondent, reports that there are concerns over the US video of Iranian Republican Guards supposedly removing an unexploded mine from the side of a Japanese tanker in The Gulf and is advising caution before laying blame over the exact cause of the attacks.
The Captain of the Norwegian tanker has said that his ship was hit.
Norway is laying its report before the UN.
Meanwhile Jeremy Hunt has jumped in accepting the US video of the mine being removed from the other Japanese ship.
Will the British Government blindly follow the US yet again?
Have we learned nothing?

2 Likes

Hunt’ s trying to make his mark. It’s never about the right thing for a country anymore it’s always the right thing for that person’s particular agenda.

2 Likes

@Jane_Williamson “Have we learned nothing?”

I think I understand the feeling behind your question, Jane, and I think I share it.

For me it is a feeling of sick despair curdled with impotent rage, corrosive contempt for some of our politicians’ self-centred hypocrisy, and stark fear for the lives of tens of thousands of innocents to be tossed into the cauldron of crazed blood-lust that will be another war in the Middle East, launched by the evil psychopaths in Trump’s administration.

If anyone thinks this is mad hyperbole on my part, I said the same about the attack on Iraq, much the same about the war in Vietnam in my younger days, and the same about British complicity in the wicked oppression of the people of Southern Africa by the genocidal apartheid regimes of South Africa.

We have learned, I think. But we have not succeeded yet in exterminating the white supremacist cult of war-mongering that infects North America, and has spread its foul contagion to Britain like ebola.

I am beginning to think our much-vaunted civilisation has a death wish that it must fulfil, and will take us all with it, innocents and criminals together, in an orgy of self-destruction.

Enjoy your weekend!

2 Likes

Looking at certain prominent figures, I think the World is well overdue a catastrophic asteroid strike…the planet will surely recover, but in my very humble opinion, the human race is past redemption.
We should just maybe “turn it off, & back on again”

4 Likes

But then I look at my innocent little grandson and wonder how children grow up so differently. Some pacifistic, hardworking credits to society and others entitled, lying sh**s. Its mind boggling.

4 Likes

The answer to your on-the-nail question, Teresa, lies (I think) in the word “entitled”, which is the essence of the class system entrenched in British consciousness, and in the institutional DNA of our institutions and symbols of born-to-rule hierarchy.

Like the monarchy and the secret-cloaked award of titles, and Eton, for example. Not to mention the Army. And Boris Johnson’s much admired ‘droit de seigneur’: (“Well, he’s a toff, innit…it’s 'is right!”).

“It’s the rich wot gits the pleasure
And the poor wot gits the blame.
It’s the same the 'ole world over
Ain’t it all a bleeding shame?” :laughing:

Apologies to any ruffled men and women serving in the ranks.

1 Like

Could this also be linked to a trade deal?
I wouldn’t put anything past this lot and their manic wish to get us out the EU whether it costs economic, social or personal cost for others.

1 Like

But his father voted Remain, his brother left the Government and his sister stood as a candidate for Change UK in the European Elections.
He is the blonde black sheep of the family.
In this case you cannot tar the family with the same brush,toffs or not.

1 Like