Tax Shock for Early Retirees (Guest Blog)

I hope the AE view is right Andrew, but the rest of it oh-oh. So when are you moving to Italy where taxes are lower (but bureacrcy twice as cumbersome).

Brian, although I've pointed out Hollande's threats of getting rid of the AE system, I think it'll be more a question of freezing it and letting those already trading under it continue to do so. Shelving it completely would win a lot of support from all those in the "normal" set ups but would be countered by the thousands (although a small number compared to those in normal set up) of AEs. Vedremo!

As for the French tax system - we're all going to end up paying more! And once out of the cosy AE system it's frightening, we're (the accountant) currently budgeting for the best part of 30,000€ a year in cotisations and then there'll be tax on top of that... ={:-O

It is worrisome because I have contributed minimally in the UK so therefore shall receive less than £50 a week and similarly from Germany from whom I have had a forecast of €11.714 per day which is about €82 weekly. I reach 65 in October next year by which time the French government will have changed things for sure. I also have no intention (or can I afford) to retire and wish to remain an AE (which is fairly likely to be shelved as well) so I am somewhat concerned about how complicated it will become for people like me.