Taxe habitation 2019 - TV Licence (Redevance)

Hi All.
I have just received my taxe d’habitation for a second home for 2019. It isn’t showing a charge for the tekevision licence. I filled in the form earlier this year so can I believe that this is becos we is getting older as in the UK or should I send a separate cheque for the tv. I dread the bureaucratic complexities of trying to pay but also dread being summonsed for watching french tv without a licence though we never watch french t.V. Anyone else in the same boat or any USEFUL suggestions please.
Diane

Is this for your principle address in France or a second French home? Not clear from what you say.

It is a second home

IIRC you only pay one TV licence…

Each household (foyer fiscal) is only liable to pay the licence fee on one property. So even though you may be the owner of more than one property, you do not pay it twice, although tenants of a property you own would be liable. Non-residents with second homes are as equally liable for the fee as residents.

Hi Diane

In France, TV Licences are due for every “household” which has a TV (albeit it 1 licence per French household regardless how many houses/tv). Only those on a really low income/benefit etc can be exempt.

What is the form you say you filled in “earlier this year” ?? :thinking:

TV licences have been discussed over and over again… yet mistakes can and do happen… so, it might be an idea to contact your local Tresor and find out why you are not being charged this year. :thinking:

Just a thought… is this a new second home… ???

This is a relevant screenshot from the link… if you’ve got a TV you have to pay… basically.

I don’t think folk who live abroad can be exempt from TV licences on 2nd homes in France… but the link talks about how French folk can be if they have really, really low income etc.

Hi - it is a second home which we have had for twenty years. Each year we are sent a form -in spring as I recall - and the form asks if we have a television. I reply yes and then when the taxe d@habitation comes in , it comprises of two amounts - taxe d’habitation and contribution a l’audio visuel. This year it says le montant audiovisuel is 0.00eu.
What I am asking is do iIpay the habitation as per the demand or do I try to send along with this cheque another for the tv license or do I write separately. I am asking really to see if anyone else has had the same taxe demand without a tv license demand included.

Diane… we have another forum Member who had this problem… suddenly no TV charge… strange how it happens. (She and the Tresor got things sorted with an extra bill being sent to her.)

Why not get in contact with your Tresor (see the bill for details) and tell them you DO have a TV and need to pay the licence fee.

(the onus is always on the Householder to pay-up and Fines etc do not bear thinking about…)

Or you could send a payment which includes the TV licence 139€ with a covering letter explaining that you DO have a TV.

(thinking about it… can these bills still be paid by cheque or must it be paid by bank transfer (or what)… )

Help… someone must be in the loop… :thinking:

I’m wondering if the wording on the Form you completed has now changed (as it has done for us French Residents.)

Nowadays we only tick the box on our Tax Declaration to say we DO NOT have a TV… whereas in the past we had to tick the box if we DID…:thinking::upside_down_face:

What is classified as a tv here some countries have new laws that makes any screen a tv because of streaming like Netflix

you could work through the link…

Mostly, I pay what I’m told to pay, if its nothing then pay nothing - don’t rock the boat (IMHO)

3 Likes

Hi Diane

We lived in France a couple of years ago and fell foul of the failure to be sent a bill. We had received one for the first year and paid without any problem. However, in the second year there was no bill until a late payment demand arrived for two licences along with a fine for failing to pay both. A French friend sorted out the double charge (because we had a gite as part of our property) but we still had to pay the fine for one licence so far as I can remember. Very frustrating as we had never received any initial demand to pay. So, our advice is don’t do nothing as they will know where you live and may catch up with you…Good luck Kevin

Thank you for all the replies. I think I will pay the bill as requested and then send a separate cheque to cover the tv licence. Your comment about the wording changing is ringing a little bell in the back of a very crowded memory.

From the latest lettre Publique:
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=auto&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.service-public.fr%2Fparticuliers%2Factualites%2FA13679%3Fxtor%3DEPR-100