Techie question

Debunked years ago IIRC

Yes, thanks. I’d never heard of team viewer but it seems expensive to just mirror the phones screen/keyboard. I guess you have to mirror from a device with touch sensitive screen too, not lap or desktop.

Do you want to monitor remotely or just around the house? There does seem to a range of bluetooth extenders available.

I’ve got some bluetooth extenders and they’re great, but what I want to do is monitor remotely e.g when I’m in another country.

Re teamviewer, last time I used it there was a free version. I think the pay version is a professional version. Certainly open to any other suggestions.

Still haven’t popped the sim in the old phone to try it, as been a little sidetracked.

IIRC Team viewer needs a 2 or multiple end connections. One end giving the codes to the other to access. And when the connection is cut, one end has to give new codes. Maybe wrong though?

Yes, I see there’s a free version. I got it working on my MacBook and iMac, very handy. I also have my iPad controlling both of them but not so clear how to get my Macs to control my iPad (or iPhone). Thanks for the pointer, a pleasant way to while away a few hours :slightly_smiling_face:

Reactivated thread to ask what is most likely a very basic question.

We have email accounts via orange. All got blocked due to “suspicious activity” but we have been able to unblock them and change passwords, which works just fine of desktop and Windows laptop. Hoever tryimg to change the account passports on android phone and ipad is just gpi g arpund in endless loop.

Change password for incoming and outgoing fields, click done and get pop up message that there is no password and I should go to mail account settings and enter one. Which is what I think I’ve just done!

Any clues as to what I’m doing wrong?.

At one point I did get a pop up about IMPAP and POP settings not having been entered…also baffling.

I’m not familiar with Orange specifically, but with email accounts in general it’s often necessary to specify whether you want to use “POP3” or “IMAP” - two different ways of accessing the email server - and enter the corresponding settings to get logged in to the mail server.

The difference (in simple terms) between POP3 and IMAP is this:

With POP3, when you read emails they are downloaded from the server onto your device and deleted from the server, so the only copy you have is the one on your current device (which will need a robust backup solution in place if you need to retain emails for future reference!).

With IMAP, emails (both sent and received) are stored centrally on the mail server, and just “read” by your device(s) - which usually also keep a copy locally.

IMAP is by far the more suitable system if you need to use more than one device to send and receive emails, e.g. a desktop computer plus a phone and maybe also a tablet or laptop. POP3 is adequate if you only use one single device for email, but that’s much less common these days.

So I suggest you run through the setup on your phone and tablet again and opt for IMAP, and with SSL security turned on, the lack of which may be another reason it’s failing currently.

You can find the relevant settings detailed here:

Hope that helps!

1 Like

As a separate point Jane, I think if and when you move from Orange as your supplier, won’t your email addresses die. Email is so importent these days I only use Microsoft and Apple both of which I feel offer an independent and secure service. MS offers email, cloud storage and their office apps for five family members for €99 a year. Much as I dislike their OS I think MS’s 365 offering at €2 a week is a bargan.

This is a very valid point - I have an Apple email (dot-Mac) account for personal use (which costs me nothing!). I don’t use the email address that my ISP (currently Vodafone) offer.

if you have an Apple ID (e.g. you own an Apple device or have an iTunes account) then you probably already have an Apple email address!

Because I run a business I have my own website and domain name so business emails go through that - you could go that route even for personal use if you wanted a more distinctive and easily remembered email address - web hosting packages with email can be had for a couple of euros/dollars/pounds a month.

1 Like

I still have a BT account to hang on to my btinternet.com address!

All these things are on the todo list! Just not right now…

Yes, some ISPs let you hang on to your email, but I seem to remember Orange dumped me, even though I didn’t use it, after I moved from them. That’d mean all your histort would be gone :roll_eyes:

One way of sorting out the filing!

2 Likes

Wish I could sort out the cave that way.

Large van and a trip to the dechetterie - the meatspace equivalent. :smile: