Temporary car insurance?

Hi all, I have just paid through the nose to get my Volvo V70 through its MOT. I have owned a house in France for 16 years and am now preparing to move permanently next month. After having paid so much to keep my Volvo on the road, I am now thinking of exporting it to France. I can get the headlamps to comply with the rules in France and know that I must get a CT certificate among other things legal. My point really is that it costs a fortune to run this car and I will have a smaller cheaper French vehicle to use for general stuff. However I would like to keep the Volvo for family outings and friends to use when they visit. Does anyone know if it is possible to buy insurance for short periods, say a week or two. I don't want the expense of having to insure two vehicles for a year at a time as I am retired. Any advice, very welcome. Thankyou.

Thank you both. It is as I expected. When I first bought my house, it was possible to do this. However it's another little space that the taxman has moved into. Shame. Thanks again

Karen, you beat me to it! We have just sold a RHD Kia Sorrento because of this very reason, (didn't need to use it very much as we have a small LHD Car), but thought we would keep it for when our son comes to visit, but it was going to cost us money for insurance, just leaving it in the garden.

Hello Ley

Sorry to be the bringer of bad news but my insurance company tells me that ALL cars - even those that are "off the road" MUST be insured AT ALL TIMES.....Apparently tis the law......

You can opt for the cheapest third party fire and theft and if you tell them it will be used very little they can offer a low mileage allowance which also reduces the cost....

On the plus side - it is the car that is insured and not the driver so anyone with a valid licence can drive it and know that they are covered....