That $69 million jpg

I’ve posted this under Tech because I don’t want to get drawn into a discussion about the art market, but thought some people might find the linked article very interesting - it’s about the staggering amount of energy consumed in creating and maintaining block chain ‘artefacts’.

So fungible is just a new way of saying tangible (or a hybrid of fucking tangible :joy:)

It’s from the 17th century and comes from the Latin phrase fungi vice: literally to serve in place of.

1 Like

Given the Azaelia Banks NFT currently for sale for $260m is called “I f*cked Ryder Ripps” I am choosing to believe against all probability that you have purposely made a very clever pun here @Mark and shall congratulate you on it :joy:

1 Like

Ahhh, the benefits of a classical education Brian. I too had Latin beaten into me in primary school :slightly_smiling_face: Our textbook was “Latin for Today” and I just Googled it out of nostalgia and discovered the “Revised Edition” was published on January 1, 1928. No wonder it made little sense in 1965. My biggest acomlishment was defacing the title to “Eating for Today”.

1 Like

Our instrument of torture was Kennedy’s Revised Latin Primer, published on 1888 then revised in 1930. That led on to The Aeneid and Caesar’s Gallic Wars. And that was just for O level. Heaven knows what lay in store for the 6th form?

1 Like

It was a Catholic boys school so maybe they were lining me up for the priesthood. If so, boy, that was some miscalculation :smile: