That walk to the altar - Update 17/05

Perhaps all of us have been conditioned to a world in which celebrity has assumed a real meaning, for good or evil, which is why we are prone to take sides with or against anyone so labelled, and are blind to the individual’s basic humanity. This tends to suggest we have lost touch with our own.

Diana was an an “ordinary” woman and her grace and her fallibility were part of the ordinariness we all participate in, and do well to remember.

Diana was far from an ordinary woman. She was part of the aristocracy and grew up with privileges and opportunities that most of us could only dream of.

She was also terribly flawed and not nearly so naive as her public persona suggested.

That’s not to say she wasn’t horribly used and abused by the royal family.

You may have opened up a can of worms with this one… :wink:

3 Likes

I don’t quite understand, who has actually told him he can’t walk her down to the alter?

Mandy, is there a French equivalent to “boîte de vers”… just for future reference in my conversations with francophones… :joy:?

Well put Mandy. :slightly_smiling_face:

What do French photographers say instead of “cheese”? Ouistiti, Peter.

I’m not sure there is an equivalent Peter but someone far more proficient in French than me may know.

Maybe @vero - so you don’t have to read this thread, is there an equivalent French expression for “open up a can of worms”? Thanks.

IMO Charles and co got their ‘pick’ totally wrong and Diana turned out to be a ‘loose cannon’ rather than the puppet she was meant to be, ultimately her obvious flaws caused her untimely death which ironically was the saving of the Windsors.

3 Likes

Well said Tim, I imagine they were horrified when they found out she was way more complicated than they thought. The “perfect young shy virgin” turned out to be anything but!!

2 Likes

Thanks @terry :grinning:

Ordinary in the sense of being heir to all the emotions, hopes, fallibilities and strengths of humankind, regardless of the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune we are born to. Would we have made a better fist of the cards life dealt her? I would not.

IMO it is all too easy to cast blame, to hurl or gently aim insults… to say we would have done things differently…

None of us really knows how we would behave in certain circumstances… not until we are face-to-face with them. OK we may like to think we would have done things differently, done things better even… and yet… who knows :thinking::hushed::zipper_mouth_face::neutral_face:

This thread is about a boy and a girl, getting married…and I wish them well… and all the luck in the world. :heart_eyes::hugs::heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Ouvrir la boîte de Pandore, un sac de vipères, un sac de noeuds, maybe.

Thank you Vero. I knew you would have the answer :woman_teacher::snake:

My understanding is he lives a quiet reclusive life in Mexico. How can anyone imagine participating in this circus of a wedding that will be watched by millions of people all over the world would be easy for him and not send his stress levels off the scale, beloved daughter or not. He does not seem to have received any practical support from his daughter, Harry or the ‘establishment’ and in all probability really does not want to do it in these extreme circumstances and I can’t blame him. The photos were a big mistake but he made the decision to co-operate and only has himself to blame for that debacle.

2 Likes

Thank you, Véro… Hmm…what’s the French equivalent of “you’re the bee’s knees”… or should I shut up before I get swatted? :honeybee:

1 Like

It would be interesting to get a direct translation and use it to see the reaction from a French person!

Doesn’t really seem to be an equivalent idiom - unless the French wish to adopt it (as with many other phrases) directly into their language.

Otherwise the best offerings are:

extra ; génial ; super ; le top ; le meilleur ; trop fort ; trop cool

etc.

1 Like

What a ‘depressing’ thread (certainly not a discussion!) - pretty shameful really. Just read it from start to here, maybe some of you other contributors should. Not good :frowning: I’m guessing none of you ever met the folks you’re hurling abuse / criticism at…what’s it like up there ?

Tu es vraiment le bizenise? You’re really the business! That’s what it’s about I think. :thinking: