The 1960s Shopping Basket

I just found this link on making your own golden syrup -

http://neckredrecipes.blogspot.fr/2009/12/homemade-golden-syrup.html

I've got a big bag of custard powder in the cupboard!

Golden Syrup can be bought in many of the big supermarkets nowadays, well in my area at least- look in the 'British' section

Most supermarkets stock it in the exotic foreign foods section (where you also find custard powder & salad dressing & paxo something in a packet - all objects of fascination to me because they make me think of rationing & I don't know what they taste of & am unwilling to try).

I didn't know that!

Anyone know where I can get golden syrup? I miss this since moving to France.

Just found it on another site and it's called Toffee honeycomb there.

Cinder toffee is that yellow frothy stuff isn't it, I think I remember it being called something different, only obv I can't remember what... PUFF candy!! That's it!

I make it at home. Make some caramel with brown sugar & golden syrup & a bit of vinegar, throw some bicarb in it, stir like mad, pour onto oiled slab. Stuff face on way to burns unit. Spend 2 weeks cleaning kitchen but who cares.

Oh heck.

Sweet peanuts - the sweeties shaped like whole peanuts with bits of nuts inside.

Rhubarb and custard.

Wait for it....Sweet Tobacco!!!!!

I don't know whether I'm glad or sad that you put in the punchline first!

You can still get it. In fact you can still get a lot of the stuff.

Chewing nuts and all sorts.

I'm not giving you the link because you'll all make yourselves sick.

Agree with the Curly Wurly but again, the reduction in length over the years is alarming !

....story of my life .....

that was it Space Dust, well done Véro

revolting stuff !

Looking at this from an economic perspective - I think Curly Wurlys were the best value for money. You really could make them last a long time.

And as my favouritist, cinder toffee but plain, not chocolate coated, which I can still get now if I try hard but you can't buy it in bulk because it goes soggy. Unless, of course, you eat it all very quickly.

That's the stuff!

Space dust? Space rocks? Was that it? Something like that, anyway. There was a purple one as well, I think.

Wot, wiv yer teef?

Nice one Vic!

A defendant in the dock accused of robbery & rape etc was asked by the judge if he had anything to say. The defendant pointed to his throat & gasped 'sore throat yer honour, can't talk' . The judge replied that ' In all my time on the bench I have never heard of such heinous crimes you have been accused of & if you have a sore throat you should suck a Fisherman's Friend' The defendant gasped ' Don't you think I'm in enough trouble already ?'

We need to start the FF Appreciation Society !

Just imagine what they are doing to your teeth ?

certainly can't, repeats currently being shown on Sky

I am sucking an FF right now and have been since waking up with a sore throat and cough yesterday. I swear by them and also like the taste.

Height of sophistication but disgusting. We had one of London's earliest Indian restaurants (RIP Khyber Pass :-( ) not so far away where I had a few meals when I was 16 or so, after which Vesta curries were showed up for something hardly worth describing. A girlfriend made one to impress me when her parents were away. We obviously did not see each other very often thereafter.