The (auto) times they are a changin'

Sorry more UK political stuff, but at least it’s not a Guardian article

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-05-26/uk-risks-car-collapse-as-jaguar-land-rover-looks-elsewhere-for-batteries

Remainers did point out that Brexit would wreck the UK car industry.

Of course JLR are really Tata Motors, the giant and very successful Indian firm. There’s been no British volume car manufactures for a long, long time and I don’t thing any of the foreign ones with UK assembly plants have any allegiance to the UK, despite a great workforce. It’s a tragedy that after decades of rebuilding the motor industry in the UK, Brexit threw it all away.

I’ve personally seen just how quickly an MNC will lift and shift even the most complex manufacturing operation if the numbers no longer stack up. As you say Billy, all totally predictable.

Luckily the exodus won’t impact those living in the home counties too much, otherwise something might have to be done about it. And to think, was it David Davis, who predicted that Mercedes, BMW and VW would be banging down Merkel’s door to give the UK a good deal.

As for battery technology, I remember we were World leaders (as Boris would say) when I was seven…

Isn’t this the pigeons of off-shoring and outsourcing coming home to roost?

For some years, Westfield Cars (makers of Lotus 7 type kit cars) have been the largest British-owned car manufacturer by number of cars produced…

Yes, I think the UK is probably the World leader (phrase copyright Bojo) in low volume interesting cars, Lotus, TVR, Morgan, Westfield, Caterham (of which there are few in my neck of the woods), McLaren, Aston Martin, etc. it seems to me the automotive industry that has grown up around Silverstone is the World leader in F1 technology too.

But why build things and innovate when a bit of hedge fund manipulation gives much better returns :frowning:

This was anticipated - actually by us, here, in discussion of the Sunderland ‘gigafactory’ lauded by brexiters as proof of their case. The point made then was that the reason for the investment - Nissan’s need to have reliable volume battery production next to its car plant - would also be reason for most other volume car production to move out of the UK.