The Brits in France

I doubt it. Most people have much more important things to think about / worry about that some small pompous collection of islands that for too many decades has had too much of an inflated sense of its position in the world.

The soap operas are happening in Brazil, Russia, China and (in a few years again possibly) the US - unfortunately.

You’re more than welcome to your beliefs but reality is that Britain has always been huge globally and a PM and government turning the UK to laughing stock is a global talking point.

I do think that it is an embarrassment and certainly I’ve discussed it with people here and in Oz who are all gob-smacked at what an embarrassment he is to a country they used to have huge respect for!

2 Likes

It does make you wonder if the ‘French friend’ of the OP was really talking about sad angry people, or perfectly normal people that are sad and angry about the state of their country!

The latter is of course the norm for any reasonable, outward-looking Brit now (wherever they are, but especially if they’re still stuck in the UK): but it’s not that they’re sad people, it’s that what’s happened to the UK really is sad!

4 Likes

I used to be a Moderator on a (worldwide) photographers’ forum, and I will say that compared to that one the members of Survive France are a model of charm, politeness and happiness!

Our American members often used to musunderstand British / Australian banter and tongue-in-cheek “friendly insults” and took them seriously, so a fair amount of my time was spent reassuring the Yanks that we Brits were just “having a laugh”. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

In the early days we had a section called “the Hot Zone” where politics and religion could be discussed, and we had to remove it eventually because some very heated arguments broke out!!

So carry on chaps - chapeau to SF!

6 Likes

I simply could not survive without being grumpy. Mainly at the TV and radio but Fran also has a remarkable talent for putting herself in the firing line.

Sometimes our exchanges get so loud and intense that we both collapse in hysterical laughter.

Spice of life. :wink: :grinning: :rage:

2 Likes