The Crane Migration Winter 2018

I love watching these huge birds flying overhead…

Have you seen them pass… ??

https://champagne-ardenne.lpo.fr/grue-cendree/migration-et-hivernage/la-migration-des-grues-cendrees-au-jour-le-jour

1 Like

Saw some pass here a couple of days ago before the snow arrived. They were quite low down and were a magnificent sight. I am in awe of nature and her wonders :slight_smile:

1 Like

they’ve been passing here during the last couple of weeks… and I’ve been hearing them… but they have just been over the horizon…drat… or else lost in the brilliance of the skies… (well, it was brilliant until yesterday… brrr… misty and chilly now)

They have been known to land at the top of the village… even during snow… so may yet get to see them…

For the last few weeks I have had a Heron that has been landing in my étang and making off with the fish. It’s because the water level is so low and it’s easy to catch them. It’s a huge bird and wonderful to see in close up. I do try to scare it away though because I can’t afford to restock the fish !

The WWF report just published makes grim reading. We have lost 60% of our wildlife since 1970 due to large scale agriculture, mainly soya beans.
Let’s hope that this will resonate with the public as much as the Blue Planet and its revelations on plastic in the oceans.

Sadly Jane it’s too little and too late. As you and many others know the governments of many countries pay ‘lip service’ when these atricles are published.
Always blah blahing about what needs to be done, but it’s action that’s needed and not words.
So many scandals about pollution from all its many forms and about what needs to be done but when you read the reports on plastic pollution alone its chilling.
We all carry an unaceptable level of plastic and chemical pollution in our blood. I saw a recent article where tests were carried out on the blood of placentas of newborn babies and it was staggering. Where will it all end ? :frowning:

We heard them last night around 9pm. Couldn’t see them obviously but we might follow them if it gets any colder.

Nonsense it’s not cold :snowman_with_snow::snowflake::scream: Try putting on some Thermal underwear :rofl:

1 Like

Hi Ann,
A method to stop a heron is to put stakes around the land side of the pond about a foot from the water’s edge, and run string between them at such heights as to stop the heron stepping over , or getting under. This is because -I have been told- herons never land direct into water , always on the bank , and then walk in.

Sounds about right… … it is lovely watching a heron strutting around the flood-plains and the stream in our valley… I’ve only ever seen them land on solid rather then water… :thinking:

Thanks for the tip Patrick. I have only ever seen the heron when it’s actually in the water, and of course when it flies away . My étang is at an all time low so I suppose he/she must somehow hop down from the bank :dizzy_face: