The end of Freesat (for BBC SD transmissions)

Please take care!

2 Likes

I’ve been up the ladder several times now, so know each rung intimately, and know which cherry tree branches to weave around and duck under. Not to worry!

I looked at Amazon FR, DE and UK and for reasons I forget now, I chose the UK. I wasn’t looking for the cheapest so there was probably a good reason, albeit known only to me, and which would probably only make sense to me!

1 Like

That’s pretty non standard. If the collar is ok to take an LNB with a 40mm collar, then I would use the existing collar. It’ll be the easiest option as you’ll almost certainly need to take the collar off the arm anyway.

1 Like

I am not a superstitious man but one of the receivers on my twin LNB gave up the ghost this afternoon.
Coincidence?
I THINK NOT!
I will now have to research collar sizes, azimuth and skew for myself. Thanks a lot… :rofl:

You’ll be an expert soon then, as I am becoming one, what with all the advice above about satellite TV stuff. Welcome to the club.

1 Like

Oh dear, horror of horrors, my new LNB has arrived, early! Might leave it until the weekend and think about it. Do you have those moments when you know something needs to be done but avoid doing it? Bugger!

Wheather forcast for the weekend?

Rain down my way over the weekend! Will open the box then, and get familiar with what’s inside. That’s a start. No rush. Not urgent.

1 Like

I’m a little puzzled about the dish ‘elevation’ angle. According to the Dishpointer data, the elevation of my dish should be 30.2° but the dish itself is angled at 33° and I get wonderful reception.

I tried realigning to 30.2° but reception disappeared – gone!

I think I should leave well alone at 33°?

1 Like

If it works best then yes. Signal quality is better than signal strength as a guide.

1 Like

These things are not deadly accurate, so go with what gives you the best reception. I notice the dish has two adjustable pivots. The one on the right is to set the zero point on the other pivot point. If you zoom in, it looks as if the right hand pivot has been in another position at some point. It may have been deliberately moved or it may have slipped in high winds. It may be prudent to che k if the bolts are tight enough.
DOH. They are two seperate photos. Not woken up yet :yawning_face::yawning_face:

1 Like

I’ve noticed that signal strength is generally always around 75-80%, but on good days the signal quality can go higher than the signal strength, so will leave elevation as it is, thanks.

Even when signal quality is low, or not even visible on the bar chart, I still get excellent quality.

I can see from the markings in the photo, (LH photo) that the angle may have been at 30° in the past, and has moved over the years to where it is now. I do recall that I had reception problems yonks ago and had to get the ladder out.

1 Like

Took the plunge and changed the old single for the new twin LNB, using the existing bracket, and the signal strength is clearly stronger than it was before.

Getting the second cable connected will come later - its indoor end is positioned behind the TV and connected to a wall socket box, difficult to reach. Will have to move TV and other stuff out of the way and clean up cobwebs and dust!

4 Likes

Is it possible that the dish mount isn’t truly vertical? Maybe a couple of degrees off?

I did wonder if over the years getting buffeted by strong gusts of wind has altered the overall alignment of the dish. I also wondered if over the years my old house has leaned a bit - hope not!

When I can find my spirit level I shall check the verticality of the dish mount arm next time I’m up the ladder.

When you bought the LNB, there should have been a plastic cap over each connector on the LNB. If you’ve only connected one cable at the LNB end, you need to leave the plastic cap on the other to protect it.

You are right! The spirit level shows the upright pole to be a good 3° out of vertical. Why it isn’t vertical I don’t know, but it doesn’t matter - the wall itself is vertical thank goodness - hasn’t tilted!

Nope - no plastic caps, but there is a pulldown plastic shroud for protection after connection. Tomorrow should be a dry day, so I’ll connect the second cable and use tape if necessary to make both connections waterproof. The shroud doesn’t look convincing.