The first music you recall hearing

More useless information,

I used to work for a company called Just &Co, which was right next door to Dick James Music in New Oxford St. Never saw Reg, but Mick and Bianca turned up one day and were throwing red lips necklaces out of an upstairs window. I think it was for the release of the Sticky Fingers Album. Still got the necklace...

Mustn't forget the behemoth that was the stereogram. This was responsible for even more tree felling. I swear it took up most of our living room!

Now that's what I call 'useful' useless information Chris !!

An old mate of mine in Norfolk has a son in his mid-thirties who was recently working as the head sound engineer for the Stones's concert in Cuba. His proudest moment was having his photo taken with Bill Wyman, I think he would have done the gig for nothing but just imagine how his CV has made a gigantic leap up the street cred ladder !!

Our old Decca had a fantastic sound, as good as anything around today maybe but the heavy system suffered from having four very dodgy legs which made the whole thing unstable especially when subjected to the accoustic rigours of Chubby Checker and The Yardbirds et al.

It was a great sound indeed. When mum and dad went out for an evening I made sure that it was thoroughly tested. Don't think the neighbours were quite so enthusiastic about it..

My Dad and my 9 years older brother were both jazzers and so I remember when I was 3, in 1949, hearing this on the record player. Consequently I've always been a jazz fan too. "Moody's Mood for Love": saxophonist James Moody's instrumental solo.

I remember going to the opera house in London with my father to hear my aunt sing.

I have no idea of the details but as a young child I was more interested in the many perfume bottles

which were displayed on a dressing table in her bedroom.

My father really appreciated the Kinks and Herman's Hermits and as I look back at their

music I can see that although they were not going to bands which would be remembered by

all they did offer a ray of sunshine and a chuckle in their verse.

Hello there, Peter
I’ve been lurking in the forum searching for clues that could help my youngest son, 19 years old, find contacts for an internship this summer working sound for concerts/festivals, etc. He’s French-American, studying Bordeaux… I saw your post about a friend of yours in Norfolk whose son is working as a sound engineer.

Could you be so kind as to consider providing his son with my son’s contact email? in case he has any leads for an internship in the field for the summer of 2019? i would REALLY appreciate it.

Totally awesome that his son did the gig for the Stones, by the way, congrats!!
thanks so much for your help, with many kind regards, Lorraine

My Dad singing to me. He had a great voice. Used to sing me ‘Black-eyed Susans’ by Guy Mitchell and ‘Scarlet Ribbons’ by Harry Belafonte amongst others. After that 40’s and 50’s musicals-which he loved ( as do I and my daughters have inherited that love) and Glenn Miller-my Mum’s favourite, particularly 'String of Pearls ’

1 Like

The resurrection of this Thread… had me singing out aloud… “how much is that doggy in the window”…

While living with my grandparents, Grandad would often sing this song to me… I would have been 2 or maybe just 3…(he also let me taste his after-dinner port)…:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Anyway… I would bellow (well, try to bellow) Woof Woof at the appropriate time in the song…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AkLE4X-bbU

1 Like

As soon as I read the question my mind went back to the infants’ school at Tinkers Farm, where children were assembled in the hall to the tune of Percy Grainger’s piano piece “English Country Garden”, played live on the pianoforte.

This was in 1943 when I was 5.

The music has been copied by many artistes since, but it is in its simple wordless instrumental form that I love it most.

3 Likes

Lovely, lilting tune, Peter…

As you say, there have been many versions…

1 Like

My mother singing to me Rock a by Baby when she was drying me after a bath.
I would be on her knees and she would ‘drop’ me at the appropriate time.

3 Likes

My grandmother would play Edith Piaf all day … I know so many of her songs almost by heart. My parents had mostly Bing and Frank and the crooners on. My older sister was into the Beatles so I grew up with those (she still has ALL of their 45 singles, on the original Parlophone label!) and all the sixties groups. And the first record I owned was ‘Teddy Bear’s Picnic’, not sure by whom, given to me as a Christmas present and the record itself wasn’t black but a melted and blended green/yellow/orange swirl colour, presumably for kids. I’ve often suggested by sister take her Beatles’ collection into auction but she won’t - sentimental value - but I imagine the complete set in excellent condition would make a small fortune!

3 Likes

What a typically kindly gesture, Stella! Can’t tell you how pleased I was to get it :hugs::hugs::hugs:

I found it when I first got up and played it before I crawled downstairs to the freezing kitchen with my dressing gown over my clothes, a woolly scarf and my woolly moroccan hat with a tassle, what a vision! Of course I had the shutters still closed :scream:

Grainger playing his own version was the icing on the cake, it was just as I remembered it. It has brightened my day!! :eight_spoked_asterisk::eight_spoked_asterisk::eight_spoked_asterisk::eight_spoked_asterisk::eight_spoked_asterisk:

3 Likes

That’s the one I thought of too! My parents would do the same

1 Like