The goings-on in Washington

It looks like they are being somewhat more cautious in Washington ahead of Wednesday.

AirBnB has cancelled all bookings in Washingtonā€¦

Iā€™ve just been watching video of the Capitol invasion taken by a reporter following protesters inside presumably undercover. Itā€™s on the NYT (pay wall) but I accessed it via the Boston Globe website.
It was quite chilling. Letā€™s hope that the ā€˜vettingā€™ being carried out on the thousands of servicemen and women set to protect the inauguration ceremony is a success.
Any person with an ounce of humanity would at this point ā€˜fess upā€™ about the claims of a stolen election. Not going to happen then.

Thereā€™s speculation in the US press that the Trump protesters whoā€™ve been arrested and whose defence is that they were merely obeying the Presidentā€™s orders, may find that their argument will be used as evidence against Trump in the impeachment hearing!

I read somewhere that even if the impeachment fails a president can still be prevented from holding office again by a simple majority vote in the Senate. Iā€™m not sure if this is correct but it would be very good if it turns out to be the case.

That seems only fair to me.

Unfortunately the impeachment has to be passed before the vote on holding office in the future can take place.
Which means that itā€™s not going to happen.

Are you sure Michael. I think there is some uncertainty.

I donā€™t think anyone is sure because it hasnā€™t been done before, but I think the presumption of most people is contained here:
ā€œThe Constitution says that the Senate, after voting to convict an impeached president, can consider ā€œdisqualification to hold and enjoy any office of honor, trust or profit under the United States.ā€ This would be determined by a second vote, requiring only a simple majority of senators to successfully disqualify him from holding office in the future.ā€
(from Would impeachment prevent Trump from seeking office in the future? Itā€™s complicated. - The New York Times)

ā€¦and duelling experts normally, at least in the US, means that something will not happen.

I think the important bit is ā€œafter voting to convict an impeached presidentā€ - i.e after senate has voted to convict, they may additionally vote to disbar from future office.

Not sure if this reference has been posted here (apologies if it has)

https://www.usnews.com/news/top-news/articles/2021-01-13/explainer-impeachment-or-the-14th-amendment-can-trump-be-barred-from-future-office

Just seen thisā€¦ Interestingā€¦