The greatest recording artists .....your choice

Thanks Dan… now I understand why Florent Pagny is one of the Judges on The Voice here in France… :hugs:

This thread needs an update, just caught this great cover of the S&G classic.

1 Like

I think I posted it somewhere on here a while ago, or it may have been my FB page :dizzy_face:
Anyway I get ‘frissons’ every time I hear this version, it’s great :hugs:

1 Like

A few weeks ago I found my old mini-disc player but as I only had the disc that was in it it was not much use. Last week I found my other discs in a cardboard box full of old computer software so I’ve been reunited with a lot of music including two albums by Ben Folds Five.

1 Like

My Uncle, (by marriage, he married my Aunt) Lee Kerslake, was the drummer in Uriah Heap.

I remember seeing Rory Gallagher on the Old grey Whistle Test in 1976. His rendition of ‘Bullfrog Blues’ made me go out and buy an album, which as I recall had his image on the front cover as if drawn with crayon. I’ve never seen the cover since.
Having looked for it on Youtube (isn’t the internet useful,!!), I was surprised to find the clip longer than I remembered. Apparently it was cut short due to running over time. If you want to see a great band of musicians, take a look and enjoy!

3 Likes

They had a few on an off over the years but I presume you mean Lee Kerslake.

I confess I never really got into their music.

Used to see Rory G at Fairfield Halls in Croydon, they always had cheap “choir” seats behind the stage, but very close. Always amazed me how he could change broken strings while still playing - rock on :guitar::guitar::guitar:

There are so many. I think that I will confine mine to bands that I have seen, who I thought were as good or better live, than their recordings. In no particular order.
George Ezra- Saw him this year at a little venue in Paris with my wife and daughter.
James Blunt.
Bruce Sprinsteen- He was on stage for four hours!
Rod Stewart.
Electric Light Orchestra
Roxy Music- Took my Mum as she liked Bryan Ferry!
Elton John- In my opinion, he was better than he is now. I’ll not bother with his Farewell Tour.
Tina Turner- What energy!
Bryan Adams
Whitney Houston- Saw her on her first UK tour. What an amazing voice!
Jools Holland and his Big Band- My Mum took me!

Not in the same league
Eric Morecambe and Les Dawson!

3 Likes

Me neither. Lee wrote songs for other artists too. I actually like the album with Ozzy Osbourn, Blizzard of Ozz. Unfortunately Lee didn’t get the credit he was due for his work on the album.

Indeed

The Boss was one of the very few concerts that I got bored enough to walk out of.

Often the case and sometimes the cause of acrimonious splits.

I first became aware of him around 1980-1 when either The River album was released or the tour took place. Capital Radio would play nominated records and according (as far as I remember) to requests or votes cast, they would have a top ten playlist. I seem to recall that every track from the album that was played, became a number one in their playlist. I bought the album and loved it. I still do. Probably my favourite of his work. I then saw him at Wembley for the Born to Run Tour. You certainly get your money’s worth with him!

Hmmm, you know that thing where you come across a piece of music which you haven’t heard before, then can’t stop stop listening to it because it is so good…

1 Like

I love opera, have seen Sutherland, Domingo and Pavarotti at Covent garden.
Great Queen fan.
Love Gilbert and Sullivan.
Big band music and some folk.
The Clancy Brothers and Tommy Makem.
Saw Joan Baez as a child, she was so surprised to see two young children in the audience that she spoke to my sister and I.

And if you’re an ‘Old Grey’ you start whistling it.

3 Likes

Just love this, it has now been added to our repatoire :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I love the voice of Kathleen Ferrier. She was a great loss.
In complete contrast Jacob Collier is an amazing talent.

Just had to look up Jacob Collier, as you say amazingly talented. And so young.