The height of fashion?

Oh my goodness, I have lipomas on my back - I never realised they are a fashion statement - I must show them off more!

I thought Harry Stiles was a footballer. :thinking: :neutral_face: :rofl:

2 Likes

Don’t mix him up with Nobby Kane…

I must say, it’s incredibly disappointing that on a forum with a collective age probably in the millions, with people who claim to be music lovers and knowledgeable about ‘olden times pop culture’ no one has bothered to mention the obvious inspiration for the outfit. Unfortunately Sam Smith doesn’t have the artistic or aesthetic chops to pull something like this off, as much as they may try, but it’s clearly got the Bowie Kansai Yamamoto outfit as it’s core inspiration, then it’s just gimped and the shape exaggerated for comedy value.

Yet again though it shows it clearly worked as a PR strategy as here here we are, along with the entire world, discussing it. It served its purpose entirely, millions worth of publicity for the cost of one ugly outfit.

3 Likes

Now her I do remember, along with Bobby and Jack Robson…and err Flora and Green Robson.

Women will have disappeared from the arts, sports and all entertainment in less than ten years time at this rate.

Replaced by delusional biological men.

Well done 3rd Wave Feminists, you played yourselves.

3 Likes

The music (and fashion?) industry has a problem with badly recycling genuinely creative material, whether music or clothing. It’s almost as though there was a 50 year post-war period of creativity and then everything that managed to go mainstream since has been highly derivative, rather than building on the base of what’s gone before. Where there is innovation it doesn’t seem to be exciting or appealing, or it’s got strong racial limits of appeal.

It is weird hearing radios playing 60s to 90s stuff at work, channels chosen by those in their 20s and 30s. Muzak in the hotel last week was all 70s and 80s (I still have Final Countdown earworm). When I was a teen I was unusual to be buying Carl Perkins along with Deep Purple. No-one cared about music from 10 years before because there was so much new good stuff coming through.

2 Likes

Help please! Can someone tell me. Harry Styles’ song - the opening riff is straight out of another song and I can’t for the life of me remember which one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5v3kku4y6Q&ab_channel=HarryStylesVEVO

I am a diehard Iron Maiden fan from way back when they first came on the scene so all this stuff has no interest to me. Most of them don’t play any instrument and will be forgotten in a few years time.

1 Like

Maybe

Overall I’d say, while sounding less of a direct soundalike than the A-HA opening, that it’s very heavily leaning on early Depeche Mode, this iconic example having both a similar opening and sound, although less obvious as I say.

1 Like

Thanks so much Kirsten. It was really bugging me. For me, it’s straight out of the opening of Take on Me. :slight_smile:
Good point about Depeche Mode. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

You’d probably like this too then

Paul or Bruce?

Have the Wet Legs girls not heard about Tena Lady?

2 Likes

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/2023/02/09/madonna-face/

Some are

Good article, thanks. I just think it’s a tragedy that women (and men) believe that they need to put themselves under the knife or have health-damaging chemicals pumped under their skin. It matters because people like Madonna are more than “just” private individuals. Such individuals are icons and set trends. She has become something out of the Hunger Games and where she goes others will follow.

4 Likes

:scream:

I never found her especially attractive before, but please tell me that image is lying.

1 Like

It’s sad her face looks like a polished river stone. Where was the physician’s ethic?

Mind you, no worse than the travesty that is now Pricilla Presley. Or Cher :no_mouth:

It looks like she has been taken over by a plastic alien copy.

Just glad I don’t need any such work. That is me btw, avatar top left, honest. :rofl:

2 Likes