The Hive

Share that with you Zoe. They went for the spring flowers in a big way and that could be their downfall. Got a 'blanket' in and all but they didn't look comfortable this afternoon.

Hello, I am thinking about trying to keep some bees......one hive to begin with. Should I be looking to buy brand new equipment? Is there a risk of infection with used stuff? What kind of hive would you recommend for a beginner? How do i join this group?

PS I live in rural Normandy.

Hi Anne, you could buy a second-hand beehive and clean it, but maybe it's best to buy the whole thing, bees, in hive, with a super, perhaps. As for a hive tool and smoker, I don't even know where to look for those second hand, but a beekeeping g shop in your area will have them not too expensive. There are gamm very and them, but they are pricey. We clean our hives with a blowtorch between colonies.

I'm a newbie beekeeper. I bought two second hand beehives this year apparently complete with bees, from someone who did beekeeping courses so you'd think he would be a reliable supplier. One hive was good the other had just a handful of bees in it. The hives were in a very dirty state and have needed cleaning up a lot. I also bought two new hives from Point Vert in Loudeac and then bought two nucleii of bees, one for each hive. All three hives are doing well, the fourth is in need of a fresh nucleus of bees as it didn't have a queen in the few bees it did have.

can i ask if you have previous experience of beekeeping? If not it would be a very good idea to find someone local who will teach you over a beekeeping season before you commit to buying bees and equipment, which can be very expensive. Also, you will almost certainly need 2 hives, one is difficult

Thank you, there is a local beekeeper who will help but he does not have much time so I thought I should try to do as much research as possible myself hence my asking on this site. Two hives it will be. Next question is what kind and used or new.

they certainly are pretty, however, "doing beekeeping courses" is usually something that makes me wary of "beekeepers". Sure, we learn loads, but experience and an open mind goes further. I would prefer to buy my bees from the guy that barely has time to chat because he is so busy, because that's a beekeeper, not a hobbyist, and hobbyists should not be selling beehives.

you can choose between two major types sold here, and it really makes little difference, unless you build the hive yourself. Dadant is probably more common than langstroth, but it might depend on the area. We build our own, and use langstoth, but with only 8 frames. Easier for girls, lol. Beekeepers are always DIY experts at the end, because there is a lot of improvisation that helps.

New or second uand? depends on your pocket and the opportunity that arises, someone might offer a good deal on a populated hive, or you might get a new one, and buy a pack of bees to put in.

So… everyone all prepared for winter??? Also, how did you all go with honey? We had a dreadful year for honey around here, but got on ok for royal jelly. A collègue nearby is saying that if next year is as bad as this year, honeywise, she’s throwing in the towel. A pity, but I suppose it is becoming harder and harder as time goes by.

Did you go ahead and purchase some bees and equipments?

I have bought a hive and necessary starter equipment but I have yet to source the bees. A friend of a friend may have some to spare. Hopefully I will be able to get some fairly locally. I live in Normandy.

I’ve kept bees and although I’m no expert I’ve enjoyed every minute. I joined local beekeeper and made some good contacts. The chap who lived closest and gave most advice also kept 350 pigs spit was a case of catching him when I could.
The one bit of advice I really took on board was after I had told him I had bought a book that everyone seemed to recommend he dismissed it by saying "Yrs it’s a well written book and covers most things you’ll come across. But I’ve yet to meet a bee that’s read a book… " you’ll learn slot by doing it!! Enjoy. Good luck.

If you ever come across a beekeeper at a local farmer’s market, don’t hesitate to ask, they’re usually happy enough to chat when they’re at the markets, and if they don’t sell colonies, they might just know somebody that does.
I know that when the nectar flow is on, chatty time is usually limited, but when they’re stuck at a market stand all morning, they’re usually a little more chatty.

Finally, I am to collect some bees tomorrow…on 5 frames and the beekeeper will put them into my hive for me. I just hope they like their new home.

Excellent… No reason they won’t. LEt us know how they go!!. Ours are well, we harvested accacia, and tasted it, realised it wasn’t exactly accacia, and sent it for analysis… turns out it’s “forest”. who would have thought, in a place where it was.