The olden days

....Just remembered it was called Temple Road Baths...something to do with a Temple? Salesian College was just up the road

Yes, got a couple of Peek Freans and Huntley and Palmer ones of each. Wife keeps sewing stuff in one, I keep speciality flours for baking in another that says bourbon creams in embossed letters on each side. Others, four of them I think, about the house devaluing as antiques by use!

sorry team a few postings are stuck hence this copy 'n paste..

what great game Bri...an old girlfiend's Dad was regional champion in the area, he was unstoppable.... clearly to 'pot' the balls you would have of 'come off the cush' .....best shot: pot the red (worth double) in the first hole from the 'spot' hit either top corner 'square on' and she drops straight in, half degree out 'bing' down goes yer mushroom, ( or peg ) all points lost ?

ALSO

ooo Brian, Puddings! c'mon wolf "em down...Spotted dick ( treatable nowadays ) Bird's Créme Anlgaise, Suet Pudding (OMG ) Chocolate Pudding ( with brown stuff! ) Custard tarts, Treacle Sponge Pudding...( Bird's ) Treacle Tart!...I'm away now ...custard creams, Garibaldis, Bourbon....sooo dippable! McbloodyVities!

Ha! Diabetes my arse!

Apologies for any dupes....just a bit miffed that the string is stuck at eleven you are talking Gordon Brown not Tony here!

don't mind egg cartons myself..I guess there are made of re-cylced paper mulch. But 'styrene should be outlawed for all packaging...so un-neccesary. But I know where you are coming from Richard...can't get my head round 'packaged' bananas, or oranges, etc.

Ha Ha....what's that German Pool game...Billiards...no holes just like an Action Man in the nude!

OK I'm cheating now.....I don't have much of a retort here, I just want to see this post hit the top 10...Move over Rover and let the boys take over!

retort: Your mushrooms have transmographied into toadstools ( wipe their bums ) you are being sillysimon ( obscure ) As I mentioned my ex's Dad was a true champignon! hmmm..The 200 hole the 100 hole then 2 either side...any at the top?

We still use loads of bicci tins, many of which are probably technically very scratched and dented antiques!

try it with 20p pieces, ooof!

another fun pub game! well worn shiny bottomed half pennies...shove ten 'P' hasn't got the same ring about it!

I learned pool from Amis in Berlin. Because we have snooker, billiards (plus bar version) in the UK once I had the rules I used to annoy them by winning easily. They knew nothing of the nuances of snookering we knew by about 14 at our local Temperance Clubs that were just big snooker halls.

Different versions too I think. Remember some with five or even seven (?) toadstools.

Shoveha'penny, yeah played lots of that at a pub called the Hand in Hand on the edge of Wimbledon Common. Nice pub, nowhere to sit inside and only served ales and ciders from barrels (like no spirits or wines), all summer the crowad outside rivalled most rock festivals. Was converted a lot of years back, shoveha'penny board probably went in the skip too.

does make me larf...what on earth are those Plastic dart boards with holes all about?

mind you Barf ootball isa good 'un ( mind the gap! )

all we had once the old table had gone!

seriously Andrew a really great game, a lot of skill...Pool? God how bland!

yes remember that Ron but no one ever showed us how to play it and my local pub replaced it with a pool table...

@andrew....and all

Bar Billiards ...although this pic depicts Brian's Mum's darning mushrooms!

No, that was an Oxon game...Nine Men's Morris? Bar Billards, so called because the 'pegs' had a little bar across the 'neck' to stop them falling down the perhaps 5 holes they guarded. I check out a pic on the Googlertron....it was a highly skilled game.

How's about 'shoveha'penny? also lest I didn't upload it before

@ Andrew. Yes, a day on the Thames on a flat boat and a pole is always worth a punt! ( lol ) lovely day out in the Summer though. But it is obligatory to fall in. ( Got the wet 'T' shirt! )

Holes on the table with skittles that look like mushrooms, that's bar billiards. Last time I played that Andrew, I guess you might still have been in nappies, I was certainly still in my teens and not actually supposed to be in the pub!