The phenomenal figures that reveal the French appetite for fast food

Is France really going to take the same route as the US and the UK? In this wonderful country of haute cuisine is this the future? Incroyable!!

Tragic really. I read somewhere that there are more McDonalds outlets here than any other country apart from the US. Of course that might be because McDo is the only place open when many people want to eat.
As John Lennon once said. “You are what you eat.”

1 Like

Not everyone wants a McDo…

1 Like

Good.

Don’t forget Buffalo Grill!

My conscience is eased as you do get a salad for a starter, anything thereafter is therefore calorie free!

2 Likes

France now has more McDonalds than the UK but still way behind Japan and China, it is the most profitable country for the brand outside the US.

The great irony is that France boasts that it has the best food in the world yet it’s in love with food that is basically crap.

2 Likes

Not everyone is in love with it… it could be mostly Tourists/Immigrants who don’t know any better… :zipper_mouth_face::smile::smile::smile:

1 Like

You’ve hit on the head Stella, it must be those immigrants… again :fries::hamburger::man_with_turban:t5::sunglasses:

2 Likes

No Stella, they couldn’t possibly have those turnover figures with just tourists and immigrants!

The one nearest me is always rammed solid at lunchtime.

It’s also near a lycée and is usually full of kids in the afternoons/early evening.

Mind you… not all Immigrants like McDo… I certainly do NOT… :roll_eyes: but that is me… :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Sounds about right… youngsters of today… Weight Watchers of tomorrow… :thinking:

1 Like

Sorry Weight Watchers … it’s changed to WW (which I reckon is wee-wee :smile:) I’m not sure how much they are spending on changing the Brand… but it won’t be cheap…

1 Like

Bad diet has various undesirable knock-on effects :thinking:

It makes me sad actually. I see lots more overweight people, women/girls especially, than I did when I first came to France. They don’t realise that poor diets when they are young means they are setting themselves up for a lifetime struggling with weight issues, as I know only too well.

1 Like

So in English they’ve gone from a name with 3 syllables to one with 6. :exploding_head:

1 Like

It’s to encompass Wellbeing into the concept… rather than just Weight…

May I just raise a question… please…

Bearing in mind the Brexit squabble over “figures/numbers”… can we feel confident that we can believe the figures being bandied about, about anything… let alone McDo ??? :zipper_mouth_face::thinking::roll_eyes::roll_eyes:

1 Like

Probably not.

I live in rural France but there’s three McDonald’s outlets (won’t call them restaurants) within 20 mins of home, when we moved here in 2005 there were none.

Not just fast food outlets, supermarkets now stock a huge selection of ready meals compared to say ten years ago and nearly every commune has a pizza van that visits every week.

2 Likes

When we first holidayed here in the 90s it was very unusual to see overweight people. Now we live not far from a beach where we see all shapes and sizes…an awful lot of plus sizes. It’s not just McD though is it, lots of junk food available in supermarkets now🍔 It’s just too tempting I suppose.

1 Like