The phenomenal figures that reveal the French appetite for fast food

We do - not sure what is wrong with that, they are freshly made/cooked.

As for McDo’s - closest is 20 mins away in Redon; never been.

In fact we’ve only had McDo’s in France a couple of times in the nearly 30 years that we have been visiting.

We use them more in the UK as, sometimes, they are the most convenient option (eg when forced to stop at a service area for food).

1 Like

The pizzas may be freshly cooked but they’re hugely calorific, just another form of fast food IMO.

Absolutely but yum.

We make our own in the UK, including the bases.

We also make our own so we can control the salt content, thickness of the base and the amount of cheese.

2 Likes

" I read somewhere that there are more McDonalds outlets here than any other country apart from the US. "

No idea where this comes from, it is often trotted out as a factoid but it’s actually about 10th

According to Wikipedia:

• France was the 12th nation to open its first MacDo’s - in June 1972

• Is ranked 6th by current number of outlets with 1,419 - indeed about 1/10 of the number in the 'States which has 14,146, 2nd is Japan with 2,975. The UK has fewer outlets with 1,274

• Has one outlet per 45,708 population (rank 26th), the US has one outlet per 22,985 population and the UK one outlet per 51,106

• The US has one outlet per 268.4 square miles, France one per 174.3 square miles and the UK has one per 73.5 square miles. The US is quite a large place with a lot of empty space though.

Good for Oleron.
The main road north/south can be very congested, especially on Saturdays when people are leaving.
I found it amazing that people sit in a huge traffic jam when, if they loked at the map, they could drive nearly straight up the bridge.

There’s a McDonald’s just before the bridge if people are really desperate.

The UK would need fewer outlets though wouldn’t it, seeing it is less than half the size of France.

1 Like

Depends on whether you are considering per head of population (France and the UK having very similar populations) or size of country.

1 Like

MacDonalds in France does not quite seem to get the concept of fast food. The wait is always far too long.

We have tried a couple beside motorways to get a very quick lunch and 30 minutes later still in the queue! :rage:

I would only consider going there on two wheels on summer Saturdays. Or by boat of course.

No traffic problems at Boyardville.

Size of country of course!

MacDo = free wifi.

And open 24 hours. Useful when because of a traffic jam you arrive where you wanted to be at lunchtime just as all the kitchens close.

1 Like

Open 24/7 in France, don’t think so.

Five of them actually are!

But I find they cover that horrible three o’clock to six thirty gap when all the resto’s are closed. Of course, if you find a boulangerie that will heat up a quiche for you, that does the job even better!

1 Like

If you are implying that you need a fast-food meal between your lunch and evening meal perhaps this post should be on the thread about obesity. :slight_smile:

My friend has just returned from Oleron and brought me a bottle of their excellent cognac.

2 Likes