The right name for the job

This brought a smile. He’s almost as well named as the local dentist, Paul Nash, was when I was a teenager.

2 Likes

Did you see the images of the fatberg ? Urgh gross :nauseated_face:

When we were kids, before your time, we used to make up names…like Mr Pullit for a dentist. Mr goesunder, for someone who would empty the chamberpot etc; .

Does anyone else remember doing this ? Oh the days of innocence :innocent:

Back in UK, we had “Jones the Post”, “Sam the Fish”, “Jacky the Postie”, “Georgie Painter” and our very own “Flash Harry”… . all so-nick-named due to their work… sounds like Toy Town, but they were real people…

1 Like

And the plumber was always “leaky …”

In the early seventies played the occasional hand of poker in our local Con Club with Bill ‘The Jewell’, Dusty Miller, Benny ‘The Ball’ (affectionately named after a Top cat character because he was short and rather stout) and Dave ‘The Carpet’ -They called me Woodyboy.

Look up “nominative determinism”.

There’s a BBC weather presenter called Sara Blizzard :slight_smile:

More examples (including Sara) here

Many common surnames are derived from professions

• Smith (obvious)
  • Fletcher - arrow maker
  • Cooper - barrelwright
  • Deacon (obvious)
  • Baker (obvious)
  • Bannister (basket maker)
  • Thatcher (obvious)

There are hundreds.

1 Like

I’ve also met people who are convinced that their surname influenced their choice of career.

2 Likes

Yes, I’m totally convinced that happens :slight_smile:

Edit: Just realised that could be read as sarcasm - it isn’t - I think David is right :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Being a Kite, I’m still waiting for my career to take off…

3 Likes

Aha… I was about to ask if you were Red or Black… then realized you might be a Box… :thinking:

As a child, I loved going kite-flying… and even now, at my great age… the kids love to see me dash about the playground with my arms wide… during a high-wind… I’m just longing to take flight… :hugs:

1 Like

Paul - I dare you to ask the definition of a Thatcher!

One who thatches?

I think many would disagree with you!

I’m missing something here, unless we’re talking about Maggie.

Absolutely - it is almost as if one person has stolen the word.

Frances Crook - The Howard League Penal Reform Group :upside_down_face:

1 Like

We have a surgeon called Blades and another called Haq. The doctor who looked after my mum in a hospice was called Dr Payne

1 Like

A training officer for a former electricity board in the UK was called A Shock.

The couple with the huge & lovely basket stall at Issigeac market are M et Mme Pannier (with 2 ns but it doesn’t change the sound).