The Veggie Challenge

Sandra my nan knitted dishcloths.....she once knitted me some pants...two pairs....can you imagine knitted pants????? my mum decided it was a bad idea as at 5 years old I spent all my time scratching an itchy bum!

I think mine were Cherub liberty bodices. My mum used to knit my ribbed vests in a cream wool with a drawstring neck. She made one for my teddy too. In fact she used to knit everything. Even the dishcloths were knitted after I had held the skeins of cotton so she could wind them into balls.

you were lucky...bet they werent itchy knitted wool either! we had one fire in our house...in the lounge...the house in London was listed...it was built by a noteable architect...we had one room per floor and 6 floors...like a lighthouse....my room was the attic at the top of a very tall house...cold wasnt the word for it..no double glazing, no heating...draughty old house...we always had chilblains as kids...not such golden days after all! and no bathroom and an outside privy!

My liberty bodices were made by Chilprufe and were really warm. Don’t forget we had no central heating in those days!

I think liberty as in not a corset...so free movement. The vests we had as kids..and I checked..at PE it wasnt just me. They were scoop necked and sleeveless and came down to just below your pants..so top of the leg...the little pocket...also knitted...was on the inside of the vest so against the skin...yes...they were knitted wool..worn agains the skin (itched like bug*ery) I was lucky enough to have a nan that knitted all my stuff...so I also had a knitted...woollen swimming costume...try swimming in one of those...it soaked up 6 pints of water....then the top dipped below the level of my crotch....good job I was only 5 years old!!!!! my dad nearly had a heart attack laughing...

Like a grandad vest with two or three buttons in front otherwise like a tshirt in style, short or long sleeves. Mainly cottons, but woolen ones also which I hope were not worn against the skin. Millions of them were tie dyed in the 1960s as granny vests, then they appear to have vanished. Pity, they were quite OK. Why liberty bodices beats me since they engulfed the body which was their purpose.

Jo do you mean it? youve been burgled again??? if so that is terrible!!! so sorry...I will go hunt for a knitted liberty bodice...(my nan used to knit mine..and there is no photographic evidence!)

please, please will someone explain in photo or otherwise what on earth a knitted liberty bodice with a camphor pocket is! we've just been burgled, again, and I need a laugh.....

Thought some folks might find this useful put into google... vegetarianabout.com I use about.com for lots of different subjects...US site...but great help for vegan and veggie recipes...and most of the ingredients you can get on line if you cant buy locally.

Sounds totally yummy....I think as long as you call it a Tart....(allusions to 50 shades of grey!) and not quiche....you are onto a winner!

Hi Jocelyn,

Yes we are in Poitou Charente and live in Confolens which is about 45 minutes from Dixieland.

My band (Dave Purple's Hot Wires) are playing there on the 23rd November if you fancy coming along.

Sorry to hear about replies you had on A.I. Some people unfortunatley seem to have have nothing better to do!

I tried quite hard to be a vegetarian back in the 70s - but failed: very little was available. at that time, when I was out and about - which was often the case.

Whilst still being an omnivore, I do enjoy a good, varied, vegetarian meal; I don’t have to have meat but, despite coming from a family line of many good cooks (my mother earned a Cordon Bleu back in the 60s, and had to learn french and go to Paris to take the exam), the cooking gene seems to have got mislaid with me: I don’t actually hate cooking, I just have no time and no interest in it - but I do like eating.

My wife was ‘Head of Art’ at Exeter College and, as such, some years ago, interviewed me for my ‘Art Technician’ job. After reading my CV, she said, “Well, that’s very comprehensive! Is there anything you can’t do?”

“Yes:” I answered, “cook; I’m rubbish at cooking.”

She laughed and assured me, “That won’t be a problem here.” I got the job - and the lady - and, sometime later, once we had become a couple, she accused, “You never do any cooking!”

I said, “I told you that at my interview...”

That’s my excuse.

All that aside; we had a visit last year from a Vegan friend and wanted to treat him to a meal at the ‘Chateau d’Oh!’ http://www.ploubalay.com/details-66.php because it has good food and a magnificent view of the coast and countryside from its 55 mtr tall water tower/creperie. We found the staff there to be most accommodating and met his (very fussy) demands completely. In fact, during his visit, we found a fair few places that would go to that extra trouble - and, sadly, a few that just offered omelette and chips. Still, it can be done, and it’s heading in the right direction, because common sense forces me to agree that, what with the ever burgeoning world population (an extra 200,000+ new mouths to feed per day - for which I accept my part of the blame) we have to wean ourselves off breeding and eating our animal friends.

I can, however, cook a decent omelette...

Dave - we're fairly near Verteuil and keep meaning to go up to Dixieland. We really must make the effort very soon.

Are you in Poitou Charentes? I once posted a message on AngloInfo asking if any people would be interested in getting together to eat out somewhere with veggie food. I was stunned at the pure hostility towards me from some non-veggie people on the forum. I gave the idea a miss as it just wasn't possible to arrange something via a public forum where I would have felt comfortable/safe having to give out personal details in order to get something up & running. Needles to say I don't use AngloInfo very much now and remember all the pseudonyms of the people who were so very hostile!!

Celia - thanks for voicing my concerns too. Yesterday we had some friends round for sunday lunch ( a mix of veggie & non veggie round the table). I read the "quiche comments" just before starting to prepare everything....my heart sank....I had planned to do a leek & goats cheese tarte.....very french, very seasonal but very quiche looking!! Anyway, I had to go ahead with it (the garden is full of leeks & the fridge was full of goats cheese) and guess what...everyone loved it. It was home made pastry, it was full of lovely fresh leeks, eggs, goats cheese, creme fraiche, chives, really lovely. If anyone is interested in the recipe it's a Delia one Delia's Leek & Goats Cheese Tarte It went down very well with pumkin soup to start and meringues, ice cream & raspberry coulis to end.

I think its more the bought quiches...which are light on the filling and not the tastiest in the world...like you I fill mine to the brim with fried onion, garlic, peppers, corgettes etc, often use soft Italian cheese stirred into the eggs instead of milk and use strong cheddar and a dusting of breadcrumbs and parmesan on top....wicked!

Why do people dislike quiche? Even my OH sags when I say it's for dinner, yet somehow there is rarely any left for lunch on the fly the next day. I love it, full of tasty veggies sautéed in garlic and herbs, a couple of free range eggs stirred into creme fraiche or milk and a good grating of Cantal cheese on top. It smells wonderful and tastes best allowed to cool a little.

In the UK my meat eating friends loved to dine with us and no, I rarely served quiche as that was their easiest option to serve to us. And my visiting family love French sausages on the grill!

You are so right! Ive known a veggie meal be doused with chicken gravy and soy be flavoured by frying in bacon fat....Im not a veggie, but if I were, I wouldnt be eating out in France!

Been skimming quickly all the comments about vegetarianism in France...Interesting.

I am not a vegetarian but have several friends here and guests that are.

Just a comment: what I have noticed is that the concept for vegetarianism is 'less clear' to 'clear' depending on the restaurant /host you are eating at. As my level of French has improved over the years, I have noticed that questioning the wait staff /chefs politely have shown that food you would think is vegetarian is actually not because of seasoning from chicken broth, etc...

So, it is a comment to say if you are a strict vegetarian, it is good to have a good level of French to ask new restaurants how they prepare their meals to be absolutely sure there is no animal products in it.

If the reasoning to be vegetarian is more of an environmental/health issue, perhaps your personal views are more flexible in allowing some animal products in the food (like seasonings).

Just my two cents.

just goes to show....its a slow burn in France....they dont change things without a long fight here....

Jocelyn thats what we do as well. I cook up batches of meals and freeze, often for my poor OH who lives in the Dordogne most of the year whilst I am here in the UK earning! I make loads of ready meals...and then he always has something...he is a 'cant cook/wont cook' type.... but certainly...if I am cooking a curry I cook a huge curry and set aside enough for half a dozen single servings in the freezer.