The very latest gouv.fr info re CdS 22/01/20

https://brexit.gouv.fr/sites/brexit/accueil/vous-etes-britannique-en/droit-au-sejour-en.html?fbclid=IwAR3IJVpSbkTkWnaeYIgAJLBFX4ubaAoYqaRXqAjEq41gjvk152HAJ2DsLmU

1 Like

Thanks. This is reassuring

“On the other hand, people who already have a residence permit which was issued due to their former status as EU citizens will be automatically entitled to exchange this document for a new permit without having to provide any supporting documents.”

And that’s without there being a withdrawal agreement.

I’m not reassured. The more I talk to French people, and the more I follow discussions in French media, the more I see a hardening of attitude towards the British, including immigrĂ©(e)s.

“Nous avons beaucoup de nos propres vieux, pourquoi devrions-nous en accueillir d’autres de l’étranger ?” Opinion expressed by middle-aged local in man at recent hustings meeting during discussion on “Comment amĂ©liorer relations avec les anglais
”

Two different things Peter. Be reassured that the French government is looking out for you, there will always be individuals who are not happy about immigration. You’ve always posted about how kind and welcoming you have found your local area.

1 Like

With all due respect to said middle aged local, I trust what is written on a gouv.fr website over his opinion!

1 Like

If you have been here before the leave date you can stay, of course the french government wants us to stay as who else would buy all the run down houses and pay taxes, half of the French didn’t want us here in the first place which you will realise when your French is good enough and lived here long enough.

1 Like

:crazy_face: That’s great
 you are saying that half the French population DO want Brits here
 :hugs: first bit of positive feedback from you for ages
 keep it up

4 Likes

Only some of you, to be fair, but we really wish they would hop back on a cross-channel ferry heading north sharpish.

Of course no French people pay taxes, it is all those stakhanovist immigrant Britons.

3 Likes

Oh you bundle of joy. You and those like you are a drop in the ocean not France’s saviours. Think yourself lucky that the French government is making it so straightforward to remain in the country that you love and respect.

1 Like

I didn’t realise you paid much taxes and cotisations Barrie. Must have been misled by your previous comments when you said you only started working when your savings ran out, and complained how hard you found it to make any money.

Reminds me of all those Brits who are firmly convinced that Brittany, with its 19.5 billion euro farming industry, would be penniless without Brits spending their pensions in IntermarchĂ© and doer-uppers buying stuff from Mr Bricolage when they can’t get it sent over from the UK.

6 Likes

Somebody had better tell the Prefectures then, especially the ones still pointing to the old “no deal” registration website, which is still functioning btw

In truth, that’s a thought I’ve had; that there’s so few of ‘us’ (comparatively) that it really isn’t worth the bureaucratic hassle of putting us through the process mangle.

Consider also that a good proportion of the ‘us’ are working, paying taxes and generally contributing - i.e. not what one would call a drain. Plus a number of those retired folks who might arguably be deemed a drain (by some) could well be heading back to the UK anyway - either forced through exchange rates hitting pensions, or simply out of choice.

There is certainly an argument for saying that the French govt really don’t see a need to make life difficult for themselves, or ‘us’. We’re negligible really and certainly not their biggest problem. Personally, I just like to think they’re decent people with our own best interests at heart!

Caveat: if the UK Govt start playing silly buggers with EU citizens in the UK then you might see a bit of tit-for-tat politicing. Not that I personally believe that will happen.

The flow chart on the gouv.fr link shown in Dusty’s post is virtually identical to that on last years ‘no deal’ site.
I was issued a registration number and told that my prefecture would be in touch.

I assume, not confidently, that that application is no longer valid and l have to apply again although all the criteria for my application are identical to the previous one. I have fired off an email but do not expect a response any time soon.

Dan, I’m losing the plot
 or my marbles. As I reported recently, official word is that those who have made an application will be dealt with as speedily as possible once the date of 31/01/2020 is passed

No you are not losing your marbles ( I actually don’t read everything you write on here)- I just prefer to rely on the French Governments website and updates

“official word is that those who have made an application will be dealt with as speedily as possible once the date of 31/01/2020 is passed
”

• perhaps you can show a link to where l will find this please

This is what l read on the latest Brexit info:

“On the date the United Kingdom leaves the European Union, British nationals based in France will be considered to be citizens of a non-EU country. In the event of withdrawal with an agreement, British citizens may circulate freely in France under the same conditions as today until the end of the transition period, on 31 December 2020 at the earliest, and will have until 31 July 2021 to obtain or renew their residence permit. If there is no withdrawal agreement, British citizens will be subject to border controls and will have to apply for a residence permit. In all cases, the conditions for being granted French nationality will remain the same for British citizens and, as from the withdrawal date, they will no longer be able to vote or be a candidate in local elections (Ă©lections municipales) and European elections organised in France.”

I have reported elsewhere on the forum
 after attending a meeting at which the official French Govt’s take on the Brits’ situation
 was given to us by French officials especially brought in to give us the word from the horse’s mouth. They were very helpful and very clear.

I think these outdated websites are still around because it’s deemed not worth taking them down or making amendments till something definite occurs - which it will, sadly at 00:00:01 on 01/02/20.

As I wrote that, the F & C.O sent me a billy doo to update the situation. It’s as per the French statement above, viz: If you are legally exercising your rights under EU FoM up to 31/12/2020 you can stay.

In brief, we are told that depending if you were already reg as res or arrived post 31/01/2020, but prior to 31/12/2020, there’s a difference in procedure for confirming you right to stay but stay you may.

1 Like

The gouv.fr hasn’t been updated to take into account the WA that has been agreed and passed by the UK and EU Parliaments.

That is also the case for the advice on the EU websites.

UK citizens resident in EU states are now protected by the WA under very limited circumstances.

They have no freedom of movement (just the right to reside, a very different thing), pensioners currently resident in the EU27 have there pensions and basic health care protected.

For anyone who has concerns about CdS
 etc
 read the attached thread

I note that neither that communiqué, nor the email I received from the old online application service indicate how much we will have to pay for our new CDS, if anything.

EDIT : correction, the page on which that communiqué has been published contains a link to the cost indicating that those CDS issued within the framework of the withdrawal agreement will be free.

1 Like