Things that bite humans and other animals -update June 2020

We had one of these a long time ago, in the days when it was the pompiers who came and removed the nest. They donned thick protective clothing head to foot, put a ladder against the chimney and attacked the large nest from above. They got the blighters. But we always had to keep an eye on it because several ‘homing’ hornets returned in subsequent years.

I’ve not had a tick issue in the last 5 years but in the last week we found one on the cats face and one on my poor little boy (5) yesterday. It was on his shoulder / back and it was quite big so I guess it had been there a day or so as when I changed him into his PJs I hadn’t checked his back. We are now doing night full body checks even if not showering that night.

3 Likes

Get you son to the doctors for a blood test.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lyme_disease#:~:text=Lyme%20disease%2C%20also%20known%20as,a%20week%20after%20it%20occurred.

4 Likes

Is there any sign of a bullseye rash? (A red circle that gradually enlarges). As in the early stages the ELISA test can give false negative results. But if there is a rash then docs usually offer a course of antibiotics to be sure. Your doc will know how endemic lyme is in your patch so what the risk is if tick has bee attached and feeding for 24 hours.

I found this very enlightening.

1 Like

Marvellous creatures, fascinating and elegant. I love wasps.

Very aware of Lymes as we thought DH had it for a while. No bullseye, disinfecting and checking a few times a day. It has totally calmed down, not even any red now. Any sign of anything untowards I’ll get him straight to the GP.

2 Likes

Me too - it’s a pain isn’t it!

Wasps never return to the same site to build their nest.
When we did a large renovation on our house in the Cotswolds, we found a huge nest in the roof space which our daughter took to school in a big box.

1 Like

My parents in Germany have potter wasps who go back to the same place every year to build their pots, so beautiful :heart:.

We have potter wasps here, but they don’t build in the same place thank goodness.We had nests on the shelves with all my cookbooks.

1 Like

Actually thinking about it my parents’ ones are mud daubers, they still make pots though. They somehow get into the little space under the stairs from the attic into the roofspace (there is a door and they put their pots behind it in a particular place).