Things that the world find weird about the Brits

It’s not something for which I can think of a French equivalent, I’m afraid.

Sort of. It’s called pâté en croûte and it’s pastry on the outside with meat on the inside and usually eaten sliced and cold.

1 Like

Thanks Mandy, that looks close enough! :grin:

1 Like

Gideon, it’s very much a substitute product, if you can believe me, but if you appreciate a nice pork pie, a rather miserable one. Better than nothing is the best I could say about it. I’ve not yet managed to get through a whole one.

1 Like

My wife likes a challenge Peter so I’ll ask her if she fancies setting up South West France’s first pork pie production facility!:pig:

1 Like

If pork pies are really important to you then you can always order them from British Corner Shop along with cornish pasties, scotch eggs, proper British bacon and sausages (both are very different in France), double cream (can’t get that here either) and lots of other chilled foods that you may miss.

I have no involvement with the company other than as a satisfied customer.

https://www.britishcornershop.co.uk/pork-pie-scotch-eggs-chilled

2 Likes

I think someone got there before you. I wonder what the quality is like?

There are a few British butchers in France. You should do a Google search if you are interested.

https://www.bulldogbaconandbangers.fr/

I think the French would really, really love them freshly baked and with cuts of good quality pork.

I can’t believe I typed “reely-reely” but I feel very enthusiastic about your enterprising family spirit pork-pie wise. I’m not so sure I like them enough to source one in cold blood on-line, but if I spotted one in a local charcuterie I would pay a good price for one, or a tidy slice of one. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Thanks Mandy. It was somewhat tongue-in-cheek. I’m prepared to sacrifice the occasional pork pie if it means we get to move. I’m looking forward to finding new delicacies once we move.

1 Like

Yes, and my response was supposed to be a mix of lighthearted and helpful but I forgot my emojis :wink:

I thought the same as you but found I was missing some foods that I’d loved all my life. It can be comforting to have a taste of “home” even when discovering new tastes.

Sometimes, it’s just not funny when a scotch egg is a plane ride away :smile::wink::egg:

1 Like

I buy fabulous pork pies from the Morris family who farm near here, rear their own pigs and make them into delicious bacon sausages etc etc and the aforementioned wonderful pork pies.

Famille Morris Farm Shop, on facebook.

4 Likes

Love it… particularly the ‘Mowlton Melbray’ :laughing:

I make my own pork and egg pie, normally just before Christmas (aarghhh, ive mentioned it before december), its not difficult.

2 Likes

Wife makes scotch eggs using our own eggs.

1 Like

Bacon by The Box, Pork pies , bacon & other lovely products delivered to your door. I’ve no involvement with them, except as a very happy customer. If you like bacon minus the white yuk & minimal shrinkage, just avoid the Danish Bacon on offer!

1 Like

We are very lucky here in the central Brittany ghetto. A business called Kerbian Farm serve our needs for good English style pork products produced locally. They used to sell at a series of regular boot fairs but now run two shops and dare to sell their wares during the “black hole” when all the French shops are shut. :yum:

1 Like

The jelly ones have homemade quince jelly on top. They also do one with pickle in it, and a turkey and ham one but I happen to prefer the other 2 varieties.

2 Likes

Hello Debby

Just looking on their website and I can’t find anything about delivery costs. How does it work please?

Many thanks

Arghhhhh, now go and wash your mouth out for saying that naughty word Mark! Tu sera punie :rofl:

I think the delivery is built in, so to speak. Have to say I did find it all a bit confusing when I put in my first order as I expected a ‘ways to pay’ type page! You make your selection, they then ring/email you just before the delivery date, arrive & you pay by cheque or cash. Pretty straight forward once you know but all a little confusing at first. If you have a question email them first, (I did), & they reply pretty quickly.