This one is a bit closer to home

I understand what both of you are saying, and I have had 2 dogs before of my own who had strokes, but with different outcomes, also have heard of other absences, of long or short duration. But I am finding it hard to remain positive in Harper’s case knowing as I do her amazing coping with her disability but nevertheless the frequent bone shuddering collisions she frequently has, sometimes with me, and that hurts. So her confidence is often misplaced and I do fear the worst. She is so obedient and generally instantaneous in her recall that if she is within whistle range of me she is either dead or injured, and if not, then the further she travels the more she will put herself into danger.

Yes she is chipped, and now all the commercial premises, post offices, and mairies in 2 communes have been postered plus the vet at the nearest large town.

Borghild has been very active in bringing her plight to Facebook and the word has spread and been shared many times, in both English speaking and French communities. When I went into the vet’s, as I prepared to hand over the poster and before I had opened my mouth, I was immediately asked, ‘has she not been found yet?’ Similarly at the supermarket, the man on accepting the poster said ‘oh yes, I saw that on the internet’.

There was a slight hiccup in communications today as a planned walk in the woods by volunteers did not take place. Nevertheless, the generous Dutchman just up the lane from me has been out no less than 3 times with his small dog which has had some success with tracking in the past, covering a very large area of the penetrable forest within and beyond our immediate area. On returning from my poster round I went straight to his house to avoid covering the same ground again and it was obvious that there was very little left for me to look through, so I concentrated on an area of forest where I know there is a long fault line in the trees with a vertical drop. Only 3 or 4 metres or so, but easy enough for a blind dog to fall and be injured. I had Jules with me, nose always to the ground as usual, but I could not be sure that his enthusiasm was in following the scent from the scrap of Harper’s bedding that I offered to his nose, or merely following all of the animals that had passed that way in the last 24 hours.

It is possible that an attempt will be made, perhaps a little further afield tomorrow, but I haven’t had confirmation of that yet and in any case, after my usual Tuesday morning shopping duties are fulfilled I will be out there again with Jules.

5 Likes

Hoping for good news today. Courage!

She has been found. This morning someone saw her in a field near to one of our regular walks but also near a derelict factory, so maybe she has found a sheltered corner within it. Uninjured, she was reported to Sharon who went there to collect her and for the time being has taken her back to the pension, from where I collected her originally.

More later when I know more, but thank you to all who have taken such interest and given encouragement. :slightly_smiling_face:

19 Likes

That is SUCH good news David! What a relief :relieved:
What a good start to the day…

That is such good news!! Cheered my day right up…well done to all the searchers.

You must be SO relieved.

Really pleased to hear this one has a happy ending.

:sunglasses::sunglasses:, some excellent good news for a change, you must be so relieved.

Great news and a massive relief for you. Maybe think about getting her a tracker like the chasse use in case she gets herself lost again.

I’m so pleased! Poor darling she must have been so scared!

Hurrah! So pleased for you both!

Wonderful news David. Sounds as if she did the sensible thing. Hope you are able to have her back. I agree with others - a tracker collar can be invaluable for dogs who wander.

That is wonderful news!!! I am so pleased for you and Harper Grace.

Thank you all, the original FB page appeal was shared almost 1500 times and it was a Frenchman on his way to work this morning who had seen the appeal and spotted her. Sharon’s number was listed as the go to for info re the search this afternoon so he rang her and she collected her and took her home to the pension for the time being.

The irony is that normally I am up with the lark with phone switched on on Tuesdays to do all my shopping and if I don’t get to the boulangerie early the bread and cakes I like are gone. This morning I didn’t set the alarm because visiting the boulangerie as well as half a dozen other places yesterday with the posters I bought all I needed at the same time, so need for the early start.

This has knocked my confidence though, the hole we think she got through, just one metre away from the one I repaired 2 days ago, is not a hole. The fence can barely be lifted more than 5 cms from the ground, but she is very athletically pushy. Total confidence would require completely new fencing, soldered square stock fence instead of the useless chain link I bought years ago. We don’t have a massive garden but much of the fencing is hidden in underbrush, which normally deters her and other dogs, but I can’t be sure that there aren’t other weak points.

I was looking at GPS trackers a few days before she went, as much to allow Jules offlead again outside as to track Harper who I didn’t think needed it. But there are 2 big deterrents for me. The variety of opinion of their accuracy, especially in wooded areas (my car satnav loses touch near high trees, buildings and steep inclines) is great. Anything from 5 metres to 100 metres has been quoted. Also the fact that to successfully follow a lost dog it would be necessary to use a smartphone, which I otherwise have no use for. I think my laptop could be used (though advice has differed on that) but carrying it through thick forest is a non starter. However if anyone has first hand, not apochryphil, knowledge of reliabilty and effectiveness of any particular brand, I will definitely look at it.

So, not sure if she will be coming back here, I will be discussing it with Borghild this afternoon, and as Sharon says, this event has advertised her wider than ever before and may encourage others to adopt her. I have a contract that gives me first refusal, but not sure if that trumps her safety. I think not.

We regularly find lost hunting dogs with fancy-schmanzy 600€ tracking collars on…even the proper GPS ones are not 100% reliable in woodland or contoured terrain. To me the telephone trackers are only ok in urban areas where there is a good network. So we’ve not tried ourselves but the owners never seem too surprised that the tracker failed when we return their dogs .

Could you make a smaller secure inner compound for late night pees when you aren’t outside to watch over the dogs?

Oh what a relief, that is marvellous news, I am so happy for her and you. How movely to see social media being used with such a good outcome!

1 Like

My thoughts exactly with the GPS and its shortcomings Jane, it stands to reason that tree will interfere with a ground to satellite signal, but €600. :astonished:?

The ones I’ve seen on Amazon are more like €30 to €80 or so.

The way our house and garden are set out in relation to each other it would be difficult to make an inner area as you suggest. I would be easierto re-fence the 25 metres or so of the boundary which is the most likely breaching section. But at around €35 for 25 metres I might well make a start because it isn’t just Harper, other dogs come here from time to time just for overnight stays on mid-journey breaks.

And Vero, I totally agree, not a big fan of FB myself, this has nevertheless been a big eye opener.

1 Like

Thank goodness Harper has been found, best news David :relieved:

1 Like

The hunters round here put this sort of thing on their dogs - nit a huge cost. They say the other types don’t work well in that sort of terrain.

Not an instant solution but…We are making a dead hedge along one boundary to stop dog heading off to neighbouring farm. Basically bang in posts every metre or two in 2 rows about a metre or so apart, and then lay all your pruning and so on in between which eventually will make a big solid barrier. And we hope attract a hedgehog or two to take up residence.

Getting twitchy looking at that picture, the amount of path mulching/bark I could make with my garden grinder with that pile :yum::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Brilliant news, David!