Those pesky "Linky's"

Have had one installed, about a week ago all was fine but now it keep cutting off with this message!

overpowered push button.

was cutting out several times during last night , anybody else having the same problems?

1 Like

Hi James…

I am told that Linky meters do not allow leeway. Thus once your power needs reaches the limit for which you are contracted… the Linky switches off.

Perhaps you should review your power-input…

Are you on the correct Rate for your use… if you have too many things on at the same time, this cut-off will happen frequently and be an absolute pain.

If this is not the case… then a swift call to the supplier might provide the answer…

best of luck

So it is said.

As pre previous discussion I wonder whether they are worse than a modern (non-Linky) installation with an interrupteur/disjoncteur and whether all the complaints are coming from people had older fused installations.

Fuses will withstand considerable overload before blowing - a 32A fuse might take several minutes or longer to blow at 40 or even 50A (most fuse datasheets include a graph of current vs time to rupture) whereas an interrupter will trigger more readily in those circumstances (but even then not instantaneously, and different models are available with different response times).

Other than that - I agree with Stella, it would be useful to know what supply agreement you have and what loads you have connected.

In the evening or overnight? Do you have a chauffe-eau on heures creuse?

We had a Linky installed last year. We finally got connected last Monday (3 weeks after it should have happened due to mistakes made by the installers…) We had a three-phase connection installed, but only took a 6kVA subscription.

I figured it would be single phase, but no, there is power on every phase. So I connected up to phases one and two, and our appliances would work for a few minutes and then the Linky would shut off with the same message in the display as you have. We were not using anything near 6kVA, that I know. But we may have gone over 2kVA / phase. Could that be it?

So then I tried phases 2 & 3 and for some reason it worked fine! Until the middle of the night the last two nights. Arrgh. Our Linky is outside, at the top of the hill, so I had to get up, get dressed, and go flip the switch off and on.

I dread having to call Enedis again 50 times to get them to do anything about this, so any tips anyone might have are greatly appreciated!

Is it correct that everything worked perfectly before you had the Linky connected… or is this the first time you’ve had power… ???

I thought 3 phase was quoted as total “power” -6kVA on three phase is 2kVA per phase - less than 10 amps per phase - so its not really suprising things are tripping.

The big pain with 3 phase is balancing the load - high power circuits need to be spread over the different phases.

I’d seriously consider switching to single phase - I’m not sure if this is covered - but changing your tariff in the month(S) after a Liny is fitted is “free” from memory - because of this problem I assume. 6kVA on single phase is 26’ish amps - the total doesn’t change but its a lot harder to use 26amps than its is to use 8 amps

2 Likes

6kVA three phase? What a pointless supply. I didn’t even realise they went that low on triphasé (quick check - oh, they do, apparently - in fact my mind is blown to find that they do 3kVA on tariff bleu - WTF??).

Yes you will overload at more than 2kVA on a single phase - a 2kW fan heater will take you right to the limit, a 3kW kettle and *poof* you’ll be climbing that hill.

Huh?

It isn’t some sort of mix and match game - and what exactly do you mean by “tried phases 1&2” or “2&3”. The load across the phases should be balanced (though with such tiny currents you probably won’t upset anything massively by not having a phase loaded).

Change your abonnement - to something sensible, probably monophasé but even then 6kVA is tiny.

Yes, yes, yes and yes.

1 Like

My Linky cuts out practically as soon as I hesr thunder. One tiny lightning flash and its toes are in the air. I think similar meter types in England have been described as falling over as soon as someone breathes on them.

The first 2 storms I waded out with my long screwdriver to open the cabinet and switch it back again getting soaked. The 3rd storm it was 1am so I left it. By morning the power was back on with no action from me. So now my standard procedure when Linky falls over is to do nothing. Mostly electricity comes back in 15-20 min without me doing anything.

Their call centre (see Linky installation docs) can also restart the Linky remotely.

However we always deliberately had a max 3000W limit and we don’t get near that usage not even spikes. However on the “annual monthly direct debit plan” received recently for next year I’ve noticed they seem to be showing 6KWh not 3. I’ve certainly never agreed to an increase and I know we’ve not breached the 3000W. Surely I should have had to be asked to consent? It’s 36 euros per year more standing charge, consumption rates cost the same. Last year the standing charge was half the bill.

Should I raise it with Enedis or EDF, or best to let sleeping dogs lie? Enedis has already flatly refused to correct incorrect address data which had been corrected with EDF in 2013. Whereas I believe Enedis did not appear on the scene till 2016.

I’m surprised a household can run on just 3KW… but you obviously have done so in the past, before Linky…

I suspect their electronic Linky gadgetry tells them that you have breached the 3KW (no matter how vaguely) and thus they reckon you need to be upped to the 6KW.
But, I reckon it seems high-handed to simply up the tariff without discussing/agreeing with you.

Is there, possibly, something in the Linky small print which allows them to do this ???
Whatever, I can’t see any harm in contacting them and asking the question… unless you’re happy to pay the extra… regardless.

It’s a billing/contract matter - should be tacked with your supplier, not theirs. I.e. EDF.

PS - 3kVA, impressively frugal.

2 Likes

If you do decide to pursue this… your Bill from your Energy Supplier should give you details of how to make contact.

I’m with EDF and my Bill gives options of contact… online/telephone/ courrier

1 Like

If your Linky has tripped put due to over subscription (drawing more load than you are paying for) you can reset it remotely(i.e. without leaving your dry house). You need to reduce the load first (switch off high load appliances) then turn off your main isolator in the house, wait 3 seconds then switch back on. This is detailed in the manual that should have been left by the Linky installer, or it can be found on line.
Regarting the 6kVA triphasé supply; you have very little chance of being able to live with that, for reasons I describe here… https://www.facebook.com/BadgerLX/posts/2839422636177185

1 Like

On the whole I would agree - 6kVA is, as @chrisell points out just 9A per phase - this means that if you have a normal circuit feeding some power sockets which would typically have a 20A breaker you would literally not be able to trip that breaker - the main breaker (Linky in your case) would always trip first.

I am impressed that @KarenLot can manage on 3kVA - so I guess technically 6kVA triphasé is viable but it is actually more restrictive than 3kVA monophasé, as noted above. All phases should have loads connected (even if they are not active) and circuits should be distributed across the phases - i.e if you have, say, 5 lighting circuits and four for sockets each phase should be suppying three (either one sockets and two lighting or 1 lighting and two sockets).

It’s possibly worth starting with a list of the appliances that you have/need to use, and working from there to what supply might be best.

1 Like

First time…

From what I understand, we can change our power subscription one time per year for free. But I’m not sure if that covers three phase to single as this Linky is made for three phase…

P.S. We had three phase installed as we are going to need it one day, but not right now. We figured it would be cheaper to get it installed from the get go, but maybe we were wrong…

I suggest you get back to whoever organized/installed your Supply and tell them of your problems.

Incidentally, re changing/upgrading for free… I think I read that it is only within the first 12 months of a contract that a free-change is offered and after that a charge does come into play… but it’s not much… even so, worth looking into if you can upgrade for free now…

1 Like

Thank you for the tip and the great link!

No manual was left for us… And my French isn’t great, so it’s been a challenge.

I reduced our maximum load to around 2k Watts per phase - which I agree is low - but it’s livable for us since we have 6kWh of storage in our house batteries, and two 3kW inverters. (We live in an RV…)

Last night we made it through the night - almost! When a heater came on this morning it crashed our system (the house batteries’ level got too low) but it seems the Linky stayed on. So that’s good!

When our system crashes we use zero electricity, so in theory that should reset the Linky (assuming that was the reason.) But very good to know I can reset it locally and not trudge up the hill!

Thanks for your comment! Sorry for the confusion. We have two seperate power connections in our RV, so I first connected them to phases 1 & 2, but that shut down the Linky almost immediately. But for some reason connecting them to phases 2 & 3 did not.

Eventually we will need three phase when we build a house, so that’s why we had it installed. I’m also surprised that such a low kVA subscription is possible!!

No sure we can change it to monophase without huge costs, but I will ask our supplier.

I have since reduced our maximum load to around 2k Watts per phase - which I agree is low - but it’s livable for us since we have 6kWh of storage in our house batteries, and two 3kW inverters.

Last night we made it through the night - almost! When a heater came on this morning it crashed our system (the house batteries’ level got too low) but it seems the Linky stayed on. S o that’s good!

Given your set up it will be much easier to manage on single phase (I’m assuming you are planning to add solar to your batteries…?).

Is there any reason why you think that you will need more than 12kVA/60A (the monophasé maximum) for your house? If not you are best steering clear of triphasé.

1 Like