Thoughts for a Leaving Gift Please

We have dear friends who are leaving France in a couple of months to go back to the UK. The last thing on earth they need as they clear their lives here is another “thing” that they have to pack (or give away as soon as we’ve said goodbye!)
Does anyone have any suggestions please what we might be able to give them as a present?
I’d be grateful for your thoughts. Thanks Sue

I’m just thinking aloud… how about you all going to a Show… or a favourite Restaurant… or a visit somewhere… something which will give good memories, but not need dusting :+1: :rofl:

3 Likes

A subscription to something they like?

3 Likes

UK National Garden Centre Gift Vouchers to start their new garden?

5 Likes

Thanks for the ideas folks. I think the one that appeals most is the Garden Centre Gift voucher (to be investigated further) because that will have a life for them back in the UK. Thanks @JaneJones
@Stella : They don’t really do shows and they are foodies so in fact a favourite restaurant is nothing out of the ordinary - if you know what I mean - it’ll be just another nice meal out.
@John_Scully I agree John, but although we are friends I don’t think I can choose a suitable subscription (eg Private Eye? Economist? Vogue? who knows???) that’s why I like @JaneJones’ idea. I know they are gardeners and a garden will be part of their new life - just need to check how long the vouchers last for - it may be sometime before they find just what they want and the voucher needs to still be valid.

2 Likes

You’ll surely be keeping in touch, so why not wait until they do find “just what they want”… and then you can tailor the gift accordingly…

1 Like

National Trust or English Heritage membership

2 Likes

A UK (not GB) car sticker for when they’ve realised their mistake

5 Likes

If they are gardeners, a sub to the R.H.S. There are R.H.S. gardens all over Blighty and if they fancy the G.H.Q. of R.H.S. then Wisley is superb.

I thing the annual sub comes with printed stuff too - a monthly mag or so.

Not only for the plants and gardens but the cafeteria/restaurant does a fab cream tea!

1 Like

You couldn’t be more wrong. :roll_eyes:

An invite to come and stay with you when they feel like coming?

3 Likes

We’ll be in a long queue. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’ve checked out - it’s 30 months which gives them a good bit of time to find their next home and still make use of the voucher.

1 Like

We have a Betula Long Legs given to me when I left the UK, and it gives me pleasure to think of my friends every time I look at it.

1 Like

I have several plants/borders/constructions round the garden that remind me of friends. A set of dry stone steps built for us , a border that was weeded for me, roses given as presents. But all given or done for us once we were here. In our final weeks of packing back in the UK , the last thing on earth I would have wanted would have been another plant to put on the lorry. Hence the appeal of your voucher idea. I know they will be frantic in their final days - they have been here many years and this is a big move. I might wait until they are in the UK and send it then - we’ll see. :slight_smile:

Yes I should have been more specific when I said “given to me when I left”. I actually got it when I returned to Uk on a visit the following year, and we drove back with a 2.5m tree wrapped around our heads.

1 Like

A memory stick containing photos of good times shared.

1 Like

How about a lovely, humourous print by the brilliant Perry Taylor? No frame, so easy to slide down the edge of a box, packing case or in a suitcase. It’s what I gave some dear friends who foolishly decided to leave France! If you get The Connexion you’ll already know Perry’s comic take on French rural life. Perry Taylor Art - humorous drawings of life in South West France. Cartoons, books and greeting cards about all things French - Perry Taylor - SARL Les Editions Anglo-Gascon

This shows how difficult it can be to choose an appropriate gift. If I received one of those prints I wouldn’t know whether to donate it to the local Emmaus or use it as a firelighter…

3 Likes

Coloured inks aren’t good for fires apparently, so an anonymous donation I think.

1 Like