Thunberg, anyone?

OK, Cat!

1 Like
1 Like

And this post on my new posters thread, deserves to be here!
From @ChrisK hope OK to move it, @Chris

1 Like

Liked this film!

1 Like

The actual product us better still!

But I think soylent green appears at the end of the list of ingredients in your pizza, petit salé, piedmontaise, beefburger or ‘meat products’ as something ‘scientific’ and unpronouncable.

Never mind, tuck in, there’s lots more where that came from, and it’s methane free! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I think that human beings are mostly kind compassionate understanding and for the most part just want to live in peace and harmony with their neighbours…their local and global community…and with Mother Nature and our planet…

I think that ‘over population’ is a myth…every man woman and child on earth could have half an acre to grow food in Queensland Australia with the rest of the planet left over…

In my view it’s the grotesque corporate management of earth’s natural resources…the banking system …agenda 21 now agenda 30 and codex alimentarius to name but a few problems with a false matrix that currently overshadows humanity…

Viewing our fellow human beings as not worthy of continuation as a species…not worthy of life and raising families is not the way forward in my humble opinion…

4 Likes

Very creepy movie, I don’t think I enjoyed it, I saw it when it was all new, 1973? but it seemed too true to life then, and much more so now. One report of the movie I read yesterday.

…" In the NYC of 2022 (a mere three years from right now ) the temperature never drops below a humid 90. Over 20 million people are out of work. There is no middle class. The poor sleep where they can and join together for the daily food riots. The rich live in high-rise furnished apartments that come complete with young women. The apartments also feature unheard-of amenities like hot water and free-flowing electricity, and the people who can afford them can also afford black market luxuries like eggs, jam, and the rarest of all, real beef.
Actually, this is starting to sound an awful lot like the NYC of today"…

I had just got a message from a friend in NY, he wrote about how hot it is 90°, yesterday …along with other NY news. It was as if he was writing from the middle of it, but I hadnt said “soylent green” to him! He works with a charity group, supplying free food to homeless, hard up New Yorkers. All very sad, if humans screw up our beautiful world.

I’d like to agree with you Helen - and I know many altruistic, intelligent, thoughtful and compassionate individuals.

However I think the weight of evidence is that the majority of humans are selfish and rather stupid and only want to live in harmony with the neighbours as long as they are “just like them”.

2 Likes

I think thats my view almost…with reservations about human nature? No account has been possible of all the worlds “civilisations” that have risen to enormous power and then fallen to nothing. There seems obvious massive errors in capitalist societies now, in imbalance and injustice, giving control to the tiny minority of people who acquire huge wealth. Its a set of installed, global systems, at present, that foster the worst aspects of human nature.
I don’t think of all humans having kindness and compassion, equally, but rather, that all human beings may be capable of living peacefully with their neighbours, as long as they are not obliged to suffer the injustices meted out by leaders and power groups. Some people have ability and insight far greater than others, in organisation, and when by accident or design, bad leaders are in control, the outcome is destructive. Think of the holocaust, the millions of people who found themselves in appalling circumstances. Some, in spite of their suffering, were strong enough to think through it, to come out of it sane, undamaged, others were strong enough to devise ways to help themselves and others, to face it and deal with it and escape. From outside, people viewed all that was happening and reached conclusions, similarly, that something could be done, had to be done, and devoted their lives to bringing about changes that affected everyone.
The potential is there, to fight back and make some difference, even now, to survive the horrors brought about by the worst organisations of power. And find better ways for everyone. No one can precisely predict the future, although on evidence, it may appear to be obvious and unavoidable.
I’m glad that there is no guaranteed sure thing. For good or bad… To stay always aware …of possibilities, is the best human option.

There is indeed a thin line between the dream of organising human affairs in a way that instead of extracting private wealth and power really serves the whole community – a community that is open and inclusive and welcoming to all kinds of different people – and wanting to protect a community conceived as people just like you - your nation, your race, your religion, your sexuality.
On the other hand, it seems to me that when it comes down to how humanity has survived and flourished throughout it’s history, it would be difficult to argue that reason, co-operation and altruism haven’t played a much more significant role than selfishness or stupidity.

2 Likes

Yes. Absolutely.- Perhaps understanding and decision making is best arrived at by experience, and managing ‘whole world’ peace, and prosperity so that equality and justice prevail, is a brand new experience for everyone.
I think that the ease of communication, exchange of ideas …quite outside established power groups, that are possible now for everyone anywhere near internet access, can’t be trivialised. Great minds, great ideas can influence how the whole world may change.

I also watched this film many years ago, quite a twisted plot! If I can remember the plot of a film it usually means I have liked it. I do remember not being able to guess the ending until it was obvious, unlike present day films!

1 Like

@Geof_Cox sagely opines:

“There is indeed a thin line between the dream of organising human affairs in a way that, instead of extracting private wealth and power, really serves the whole community…”

I agree with this POV. There is indeed a thin line between the two blocs, but that may offer (a) small point(s) of leverage along the line, so as to open it up and, maybe, to let in light and air.

It will take great technical skill to find the best points of leverage, and the same to work out how much leverage will be necessary and possible to lift the blocs apart, without fucking up the whole enterprise, skinning knuckles, snapping levers, shedding blood and breaking bones in the process.

But it’s still possible, and if we got men to the moon…fat lot of good that got me, if I think about it!

1 Like

Charlton Heston, the hero I believe, was the ending a bit like the crucifixion? I seem to remember CH fixed and not being able to move onto the town waterfall? Some kind of monument, and probably dying there, having held out to the last moment and saved everyone, but I might be confusing it with…
I must google it! The vids I found so far, are mostly of citizens, being scraped up by huge digger machines, to be taken away and made into green wafers. :fearful: ?No…all wrong, Edward G Robinson goes to die in the big Euthanasia centre, called “Home”… Extremely sad, he can die watching a huge screen with images of how beautiful the world used to be.
Can only hope we don’t have to face that, but it may not be possible, now, to avoid it.

1 Like

A fine thought!
Yes!
Its the divide, that holds up best action for recovery…Everything hinges on finding ways to reach understanding/cooperation.
There can be NO ‘them and us’.
Sooner or later, that will be clear, as it is likely to be the people who’s lives have been most deprived, most underprivileged, all those who have lived with Nothing at All, but survived anyway, they will be the sources of help and information.
Everyone who feels they must preserve/build more of…, all the awful things, like Trump Tower! They will be torn apart by fear, pain, misery rage, desire???
Everything they want will be unreachable! Impossible to obtain!
The more destruction, the sooner it will all return to “Life” assuming that the planet may restore itself, eventually. I know that theories suggest this may not/cannot happen
No restoration.
But they said that about Chernobyl?
Perhaps that’s an extremely poor comparison. Science declared the region dead toxic for how long? People stayed there, life returned.
No one will crush my hope of that! Anyone who watches Nature going about its everyday business, for long, can’t be easily discouraged.!!
A small thing. A memory! Sorry!
A sheep, its fleece caught in barbed wire. It needed to die in my opinion at the time, very bad injuries its flesh full of maggots, broken bone sticking out of its leg.
But not so, of course. We picked all its maggots out, one by one (vets instructions) cleaned up its wounds. I still believed it was hopeless. The amazing thing to me, was watching the bits of dead body fall away, as new flesh, spread over the injuries. It just had to be cleaned, and everything ticked over… How was it, that the new bits of flesh grew back to be “sheep’s leg shape” …they might have become shapeless lumps. Why didn’t the black, dead bits of bone, get stuck, and poison the rest?
They just didn’t, they were just pushed out, dead rejected by living.
A gradual process. So the sheep herself began to stop looking anxious, and started to eat, with enthusiasm, pretty soon. Yep. Ready for all prophecies of complete destruction, no hope etc etc, always aware of all of that, too.

@anon78757855 and I tip-toe through the gobbledegookian tulips again, hands tightly clasped…:hugs::angry::angry::angry::angry:

"The amazing thing to me, was watching the bits…"

Also borne out by the case of the little girl who the doctors decided had no chance of survival from a brain bleed, and wanted (deeply ethically and based on the most carefully examined scientific data) to be rid of.

Her parents worked in a different paradigm. Some will say “too closely involved to be objective” others will say “putting their superstitious faith in religion or quack medicine.”

I assert as an opinion from personal and professional experience: don’t rush to judgement, there’s a great deal we don’t understand about how things work, or why they sometimes fail.

Doctors don’t heal. What they do is try to remove actual and potential obstacles to natural healing, which is a miracle almost beyond our human understanding, and was not devised by our minds, not ever.

1 Like

WERTHEIMER: What led you to make the decision to go and study Chernobyl? Obviously, there were some very serious, radiation-related injuries and even deaths. But what did you want to look at when you went to Chernobyl?

Dr. BAKER: I really didn’t know what to expect. And I’d seen the cover of Time magazine saying that there was going to be a nuclear desert. And when I went over there the first time, it was really shocking because certainly, it didn’t look like a nuclear desert in my mind.

1 Like

Yee- Haaa! Yes!!
I like that!
Everyone might get too close to be objective! Being objective is a ghastly goof!
Be deeply, soul to soul, involved! It is us!!
:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::fearful::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::fearful::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::fearful::grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: