Tiling on top of old wooden floors....and insulating at the same time

That's a new one on me, Vic :)

Happy to say I don't have one in the wardrobe, either!

Don't think he told 'em ! Apparently it's a well known & used technique here at "Earths End" I completely renovated my gaff with all permissions & the only bloke who turned up was the Spanc guy to look at the new septic tank installation.

'the white vest (what the French call a "marcel")' & my mates & I call a "Wife Beater" ;-)

I feel 'The Four Yorkshiremen' sketch coming on...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo

When I bought my first house in France there was no WC, no running water and paltry electrics. To get water meant putting your dressing gown on on a frosty morn and taking a water carrier down to the source and then making hot water with a kettle to fill up the baby bath installed in front of the roaring fire. We used to call it romantic. When I got married the first Mrs R didn't exactly appreciate the arrangement. The loo was an "Elsan" which had to be carried into the woods every few days. We brought up our children on such holidays! There were no coal mines with a day's drive, but had black pudding.

"Non, non, I only wanted a nice redbrick surround to that passage entrance ; what ees thees, 'ow you say, catta-stroff you 'ave created for me?"

"I can assure you madam, that is not a supporting wall..."

:)

Later, when the ladies have left the room.........

The one with the Bishop?

Heh. I can say I'm proud of having been brought up with the proverbial tin bath hanging in the back yard, which was brought in front of the coal fire once a week for us kids. Grown men (except for coal miners) made do with the "stand-up wash" at the sink, with braces hanging down and the white vest (what the French call a "marcel") off. I have no idea how the ladies managed :p

Thought that you were going to tell us the other one about the landlord's daughter!

You could have had a chap from the old DDE ("l'Equipement") who are supposed to review and verify permis de construire ; but they have disappeared in the recent administrative re-organisations, and now it's the Mairie who are legally supposed to check that what you have built corresponds to what you said you would do ; I've never heard of anyone being checked though...

I once stayed in a beautiful old hotel in the Derbyshire Dales. The landlord's daughter was telling me about the problems they had providing modern facilities, while trying to preserve the original structural features of the building. Their next project was to install en-suite bathrooms, which promised to be an absolute nightmare. She told me, "My dad says, "In the old days, folks would have a good wash before they left home and make that last the week!"

Which "building inspector" is that? They don't exist round here. The only "inspector" is the communist retire union official who struts about and knows nothing about construction, but won't admit it.

"Of course, you'll have to pay the materials up front, I'll handle the orders and the bills for you..."

"Hmmm, I can make a start on the 19th..."

Forgets to specify which month...

and

"Yes madam, i'm completely legal, just waiting for the SIRET number to come through..."

Could be a good TV series here :)

*team of cowboy builders descends on Dordogneshire*

Sucking air between teeth - "Gonna cost a bit!"

"Va falloir me descendre tout ça mon brave"

*gribouillies sur presse-papiers*