Time for Angloinfo to close down?

The whole problem also comes down to the fact that the job doesn’t really exist in France - I’ve bought and sold a number of times and have never used a surveyor here in France because there aren’t any apart from those you’ve just pointed out Peter - British ones preying on expats who can’t believe the french buy without one. I also had a sale blown out of the water by one of these so called surveyor who turned out to be doing conversion plans for brits but had no building experience or qualifications. in short he didn’t have a clue about what he was looking at and came up with things that were completely untrue - he’d bought himself a damp meter but didn’t know how to interpret the results! I know there are some rics qualified people around in France Nick Ord on this site if I’m not mistaken. you wouldn’t use an unqualified surveyor in the UK so why do so in France?

Don’t get downhearted Peter - just take a local builder along to have a look if you find something that interests you.

Bonne chance !

I think you have a good point - they say you are allowed to list a property which you are selling personally yet, each time I try to post my Salies appartement (no problem here on SFN!!) it gets weeded out. They are very strict on moderation of comments. I also offered to write some blog articles and was accepted and then never had a single comment on one. Does anyone actually read them? Apparently stats arent available. I much prefer SFN. I wouldnt condone writing on anything that belongs to anyone else…

Hmm I was just thinking of using AngloInfo to find some information. However, I have move area and they do not have a local one for my new address. Think I will carry on getting information from other sources. Terry

Oh by the way, we did find a genuine registered surveyor at www.surveyorsinfrance.com They even have a Verify Us page on their website telling you how to verify a surveying business in France.

Even if they give a Siret number you should check it - we know there are some who will give you a siret number which is made up. You are so right about ‘when things go wrong’. If a tradesman drops a roof tile on a passer by and injures them, I understand the property owner is liable. I also read you can have the tax officer after you if you employ an unregistered business so you should always check. The other thing I meant to mention about the surveyor was he said he lives here, has his office here, is registered here yet his “small print” says the contract is only subject to English Law with only English Courts having jurisdiction. I wonder what the French court would say about that?

Good point - if they haven’t got a siret number don’t use them! it’s not fair on the rest of us who are correctly registered and pay all the taxes and social charges!!!

As with the un-taxed/mot’d cars - they give the rest of us a bad name and we’re the ones -those fully integrated into french society and life - who get the grief from friends and family about “brits coming over here and …” fortunately it’s usually followed by "we don’t mean you but why do they…"

Plus in both cases the implications - no insurance / business not registered - could lead to nasty implications later on if things go wrong/there’s an accident.

They wouldn’t do it in the UK so why do they think it’s ok here?!

My favourite ~ because our beautiful daughter is in the video. Good Night Catherine.

Oh this is nice for you to say; i appreciate very much sorry i am not often on site ~ i am on tour and quite busy. The video can be found on this link http://www.youtube.com/user/emmamory i go now it has been long day kisses to everyone.

I find the moderatig there a little strange, last year I placed a giveaway note for some kittens, I correctly stated their mothers chip, the kittens had been vacinated and neutered and it was removed twice for some reason, and then left on the third posting. I also notice that there are some posters who seem to get away with bending the rules inside out while other posts are taken down when they do jnot seem to break any rules… but I do read it and have bought items advertised there, I tend to use it more as a small ads than anything else. And I agree there are way too many folks over here driving UK cars that should have been imported correctly but havn’t and that don’t have a CT / insurance green squre in their windows, just hope I never get hit by one

But my key word was repetition, always keen to see a new theme/idea/argument
:slight_smile:
XXX
Roger.

Emma - I LOVE your voice - it is flipping FANTASTIC.

Can we have the lyrics en please? Would be really interesting?

Also - I think you should post this elsewhere on SFN so that we can promote it and it doesn’t get lost in this thread

xx

Now now Roger…lots of new members since then - most of whom would like to have a say :slight_smile:

Oh Heck I knew there was something I forgot…To press the stop Following button in June 2010 when this discussion became a bit repetetive…Oh Heck I knew there was something I forgot…To press the stop Following button in June 2010 when this discussion became a bit repetetive…Oh Heck I knew there was something I forgot…To press the stop Following button in June 2010 when this discussion became a bit repetetive…Oh Heck I knew there was something I forgot…To press the stop Following button in June 2010 when this discussion became a bit repetetive…

personally I’d have no qualms about using a chalk pen IF THERE WAS NEITHER A UK TAX DISC OR A FRENCH VIGNETTE for all the reasons I posted earlier :open_mouth:

Watch the opening 30 seconds of this video which is on youtube for reference to Angloinfo

Had the same problem with angloinfo about a year ago, my video and its lively discussion proved too much for the administrator and it was pulled for asking a simple question concerning, "Freedom of Speech".

Or was it my voice was just too much ???

Perhaps before people get carried away by my thoughts about a way of highlighting uninsured & un roadworthy vehicles hiding behind a set of UK plates, sometimes for years, branding my suggested method as “an illegal act”, (I did suggest using a chalk pen which would cause no damage to a car windscreen, so which law would I be breaking?)I should clarify the purpose of my original rant at AI, which was to highlight the practice of bringing old bangers here from the UK & driving around in them illegally. I’m surprised at how many of you consider a temporary mark on a windscreen to be more serious - & this was part of my beef with AI, a case, perhaps, of missing the point. In the UK if you have no insurance the Police will prosecute & take your car away if you are stopped on the road. You will also receive 6 points on your license. If you fail to continually insure your car in the UK & it is not on a SORN you will be sent a fine from Swansea. If you have moved abroad you are out of their reach & the gendarmes can not tell if you are a tourist or a resident & they are few & far between so a single car may not stick in their mind. Personally I do not wish to be hit by an uninsured driver or even share the road with one. Some of you don’t seem to mind - different story when you have been injured by one, I expect.
On this site I am allowed to “rant”, right or wrong, after all, it’s only MY view. By making it public I am inviting comments & criticisms. Disagree by all means, just keep it polite - I’m a nice guy really!

Well I don’t know which brawls you were involved in :wink: but the people I am referring to are those who leap on any unwary poster that dares to ask for information, usually with the unhelpful message ‘what are you doing in France if you don’t even know that!’ It put me off asking for any information or advice.

When you are (one is) running a website as a business it’s difficult to maintain a balance between what is good well-meant banter and what would perhaps be seen to be encouraging some illegal activity (such as defacing a car windscreen for example). We live in litigious times and I can understand anyone whose livelihood depends on the site being a little over cautious. That said I’ve been pulled from Anglo Info because allegedly my SIRET number was not appropriate for the service I was trying to advertise. Anglo Info has its place among the pack - and to be fair I’ve found a couple of bargains on there - but I do tend to steer clear of the endless and usually fairly mindless discussion forums. I’m too busy trying (in vain) to make a living here!